Minor Rights in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

knappstank

HI, I need immediate help. My daughter is 17 and is going to graduate from High school in 2 weeks. She tells me that at 17 wiht a high school degree she can legally move out of my house and has freedoms of an 18 year old.. with her own rights and decisions. I dont want her to move out yet, because she wants to move into and marry a man that is 18, and a convicted... yet parolled aggrevated assult criminal. He shot his mother and brother in a rage, and only had to serve 10 months in a "rehabilitation" center. What is the law in texas? can I actually keep her here legally until 18 yrs old? can i have her or him arrested if she leaves to be with him and get married? can I keep her from moving into a man's house that has a criminal record? please help... desperate in texas!

She's wrong. The age of majority in Texas is 18, not 18 unless you graduate from high school early. She is still a minor under your control until she is 18.

If she moves in with her boyfriend, you can call the police and report her as a runaway. She can't marry until she's 18 without parental permission. I'm not sure anything will happen to the BF though.

Keep in mind that once she turns 18, she can do as she pleases. I hope the extra year at home will provide some wisdom about the choices she makes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back