Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Minor in Possession/Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevandcher

Our son, who was 17 in June, has just received a minor in possession/consumption citation. The officer did administer a breathalyzer test and the reading was .03. Our son was released to our custody that night and given a date to report to the court. At this point, we are not sure if this will be considered a first or second offese. He did received a MIP citation last September.
The county he was in has a "Diversion Program" that is designed to offer young people the opportunity to learn from their mistake without permenant damage to their their future. (Which he, obviously, did not!) They are required to pay a $100 administration fee, attend a victims impact panel and write an apology letter to their parents. All record of this is kept strictly with the diversion officer and nothing is actually sent through the courts nor is the state notified. As long as they complete all of these things and are not involved in anything like this again for a year, the records are destroyed as if it never happened. As I said, he received the citation in September, but did not complete the final step in this program until November. I don't know if it is still on file, or not.

Disregard This One

This was a partial post that was submitted in error. The complete post was submitted shortly after.

Sorry to hear about this . As parents we're always hope the best for our kids but what can you do more ? Since he is 17 and under your care I think you're still responsible for him eventhough he's living in a different house . Just like kids who staying dormes in college . I know nowaday kids get caught with MIP are under probation for 1 year after that
their record will be clean and this only happen once . I think they have to pay a fine ($100) court cost + Leap class+ vip madd class+ probation fee(s) + maybe random drug and alcohol test have to pay fee each time . It will cost somewhere around 700 - 1500 . And who know sir "Kid will learn from this or not " or "it's a punishment for parents " .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back