Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication minor in possesion

Status
Not open for further replies.

colbyliebelt

I was stopped at a public event while holding an alcholic beverage for a 26 year old friend. Being that i am only 20, i was cited for "m.i.p." The officer did not preform any sobriety tests.
I Showed up for court and i was told by the judge that he would be forced to take my license for 1 full year(+$100 fine) even though he felt it was not neccisary for the crime I had commited(this was my first offence).
I am confused by this because i know of several people who were also cited for an "m.i.p." and never lost their license. Most of these people simply had to complete a drug offender or A.A. type course as a punishment...-also i would like to know who i can contact about changing a special restriction license for employment reasons.

Last edited:
If under the law the penalty is able to be imposed, then it won't be easy. However, if it seems that you are being singled out and being treated unfairly, you may be able to appeal the decision. This won't be easy and the fact that some of your friends received only probation will probably not be sufficient to assert your claims.

Is there something else we don't know as to why the judge said he was compelled to suspended your license?

no there is nothing else on my record that would cause the judge to want to take my license if thats what you mean. The thing that I really don't understand is how the judge could say that this was unfair to do, but he had no choice and at the same time there are a bunch of other kids i've talked to who were charged with the same thing and recieved much more reasonable punishments?
-this happened in San Diego and I live in Santa Barbara. It seems to me that they might be giving more reasonable punishments to the kids in Santa Barbara because its a college town and they expect this from students. could this be true? do different counties within the same state handle matters as they feel neccisary or are they forced to abide by certain rules as my judge seemed to be?
-all I'm trying to do is get my penalty reduced in any way possible. If you know of anything that might help, it will be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back