Minimum payment to Doctors and Hospitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKnight1697

I live in Butts County of the State of Georgia, USA. Due to economic slowdown my budget has been very tight with very little disposable income left after paying our normal bills. During the last six months I have incurred about $1200 in medical bills and the payment terms I am being offered are too much for my budget at this time. While I do have the intent to pay all that I owe I cannot do so on their terms at this time. My question is, what is the minimum good faith payment required by law to keep an account out of collections? I really need something to stand on so that I can negotiate with these creditors.
Thank You.

I'm very sorry to inform you that, to my knowledge, the law doesn't protect you from not being able to afford to pay your bills. Let me explain the logic - let's say you own a home and pay $1,000 per month for your mortgage. You've rented out the home for the same amount of money - $1,000. If the tenant doesn't pay the rent on time, you're out money and the tenant breached the agreement. There is no "good faith" payment amount. You've both agreed that $1,000 per month is the fair amount to pay. If your tenant breached the agreement and you're out $500 for 3 consecutive months, why shouldn't you be allowed to go after the tenant to get the $1,500 that you've had to pay out of your pocket? You shouldn't and it doesn't make sense.

My guess would be you're best served trying to renegotiate terms. These are soon to be very difficult economic times and you're best served being up front with the creditor and trying to work out a payment plan. I'd clearly say that you've got little choice but to renegotiate in good faith or your option soon could be bankruptcy. They may accept some other amount for a period of time appreciating the possibility of getting paid even less in the long run.

Best of luck to you and I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back