Memphis Animal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

lallypop777

I have found all the animal laws in TN. This includes laws that pertain to shelters and animal control officers, state and county levels. Also I have seen some of the employee handbook, and they have been breaking those rules. I have found that Memphis Animal Services have been breaking these laws for some time now.

These include:

Cleaning the shelter while the animals are in the cages

Leaving feces in cages for hours on end

Losing or "losing" peoples dogs There is one issue going on now with a dog named Nola, people suspect she was "accidentally" euthanized. The last one which was over the winter was about "Kapone" who was ultimately found but was taken by an Animal Control Officer. There are many more animals missing and have not been accounted for.

Dragging dogs by the choke poles

Poking pregnant cats with poke sticks

Euthanizing mother dogs in front of puppies or vice versa.

Not getting veterinary help for those who are injured or emaciated

Hiring Animal Control Officers with felonies or a criminal background (no agency in my state will accept people who have anything on their title 3 background checks if they want to be in law enforcement)

At one point there was a dog fighting ring going on between the Animal Control Officers and they were taking strays as bait. (I am not sure if this is still going on)

Any information as to what to do here would be helpful. I LIVE in KANSAS but this place, the mayor, and the director and council board don't do anything to hold people accountable. I also don't have a lot of money but would like to get this place turned around.

Thank you,
Lily

You don't have standing to do much of anything.
Write to or otherwise contact local media to see if you can get them interested.

Media doesn't do much. They do some but when they do people don't care. This abuse and neglect of animals and it must be stopped. There are pictures of the abuse and neglect online. The dept of ag, and health don't have jurisdiction to investigate, so who does? The police just turn their heads. If I had the money could I theoretically prosecute them?

No, because they're not your animals. You have no standing.

(And besides, citizens cannot prosecute - only the DA/prosecuting attorney for the State can do that)

I have found all the animal laws in TN. This includes laws that pertain to shelters and animal control officers, state and county levels. Also I have seen some of the employee handbook, and they have been breaking those rules. I have found that Memphis Animal Services have been breaking these laws for some time now.

These include:

Cleaning the shelter while the animals are in the cages

- probably not illegal.

Leaving feces in cages for hours on end

- not ideal, but really. There must be 50 to 150 animals there I assume. %#@ happens.

Losing or "losing" peoples dogs There is one issue going on now with a dog named Nola, people suspect she was "accidentally" euthanized. The last one which was over the winter was about "Kapone" who was ultimately found but was taken by an Animal Control Officer. There are many more animals missing and have not been accounted for.

- Mistakes happen there just like the mistakes happen at every business and household worldwide. If someone's animal was euthanized prematurely then all the have to do is get a lawyer and get paid. I have seen a person paid $2500 for this mistake being made, it's unfortunate but it happens.

Dragging dogs by the choke poles
- dragging a dog by a choke pole is sooo much safer than carrying a feral dog in your arms. Definitely not illegal and is probably policy.

Poking pregnant cats with poke sticks
- unless they are trying to persuade a feral cat to get out its litter pan so that it can be cleaned, I can't visualize what is happening.

Euthanizing mother dogs in front of puppies or vice versa.
- this is probably against policy but probably not illegal.

Not getting veterinary help for those who are injured or emaciated
- most animal control agencies immediately euthanize sick or injured animals. Vetting every sick or hurt animal is probably not financially feasible, probably not illegal.

Hiring Animal Control Officers with felonies or a criminal background (no agency in my state will accept people who have anything on their title 3 background checks if they want to be in law enforcement)
- ask the county Administrator to check on this?

At one point there was a dog fighting ring going on between the Animal Control Officers and they were taking strays as bait. (I am not sure if this is still going on)
- go to a judge with this. With your or others eyewitness testimony he may be able to get something done.

Any information as to what to do here would be helpful. I LIVE in KANSAS but this place, the mayor, and the director and council board don't do anything to hold people accountable. I also don't have a lot of money but would like to get this place turned around.

Thank you,
Lily

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Let me rephrase.

You have no standing to start any legal action.

Clearer? :)

Thank you, I will try your ideas. It makes me sick to see people treat animals like this. Oh wait, they are from the south this probably means that they don't believe that animals have souls....so they can just treat them how they please. However, we are animals too. Humans are a species so....why is it illegal to treat humans like this as well?

Don't answer that, its just me being disgusted with people.

Right, and I get that you want to vent.

But the LEGAL reality is that in this country, humans are no longer considered property and animals ARE considered property.

But even if that wasn't the case - all YOU would have standing to do would be to contact the appropriate authorities (which, incidentally, does NOT include going to a judge - that just isn't going to happen). You can't force the DA to prosecute, and you can't force the police to take the complaint seriously.

I'm sorry - and yes, I have several fur babies myself - but that's the basic (if harsh) truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back