Meeting With Attorney Next Week - What Should I Expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deborina

I will be meeting with my attorney early next week (we live in NY) to discuss the selling of my late father's and recently deceased stepmother's home. What kind of things will our attorney be discussing with us?

I will be meeting with my step-sister in a couple of weeks or so to discuss this also. I have a couple questions:

1) In that my sister lives out of state and was Executrix of Dad's estate...would a proxy on her behalf be appropriate? She would like to have our cousin be her proxy - which would be a perfect choice. What exactly what would be his responsibilities? My sister, I and other siblings feel he will look out for all of our interests. Since our father has been gone almost 9 years now, we have had very little contact with our step-siblings in that time...we are hoping this all will be amicable for everyone...but I guess we should prepare for the unexpected.

2) Can our attorney obtain a copy of our step-mother's will? Due to the fact we have found some discrepancies - in our father's will... we just to know what we can expect.

3) We are pretty sure our stepbrothers and sister will have their own attorney (even though I was told by my step-sister that an "attorney" that handled affairs for both my Dad and step-mother would be handling the selling of the house). The person she mentioned is a Notary (or she was 9 yrs. ago - and was not the "attorney" our sister met with after our father's death).

Any advice on this will be appreciated. - Deborina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back