Medical Examinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyour4s

I am protected under the ADA. I was wondering if I am required by law to provide information about my disability during a medical examination questionaire? Since the positions that i apply for require a medical prior to being given the job offer.

Thanks!

Is there a specific question asking you whether you are covered under the ADA? Wouldn't your employer know you are disabled? If so, then it would be an easy connection that you would be covered. I would think you need to provide reasonable disclosure about your medical condition during your medical, as it pertains to the examination.

I am considered an epileptic, which from what i read is covered under the ADA. I am also a reserve police officer. Now if i go and apply with other agencies, during their medical exam forms, it asks are you epileptic. My question is do I have to put yes, or can I omit this information from the questionaire legally?

My medical condition would not jeopardize my job performance or the safety of others. Its the fact that when i did disclose it with my current agency the process before getting on the department took an extra 3-4 months of additional information required by the cities risk management and occupational safety committee. I would just like to bypass the red tape. I know Im rationalizing here, but its also true!

Thanks!

My understanding is that you do not have to tell a potential employer about your condition. However, if you are asked during an interview in some form, you would need to provide disclosure and not conceal the condition actively. The ADA kicks in once the employer is or becomes aware of the fact that you do have a specific condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back