Medical Civil Cases

Tracer80

I was in a motor vehicle accident in May of 1999, I had to have open heart surgery and my bill got up to 22,000, I hired a lawyer and he told me not to worry about it, that my health insurance from my place of employment would pay them. So I signed off on the settlement, I started getting bills and ask him what I should do with them. He said dont worry its just taking time for your insurance to pick them up. So I let them go, he later discovered that my insurance plan was a Self Funded Arisa plan and they dont pay 3rd party bills. Considering it was the other driver's fault. I have been sued by The University Of Wisconsin Madison and threatened with wage garnishments at that time. I have not heard or gotten anything from them in more than 5yrs I have a Civil Judgment for 21,000, How long do civil judgments stay on my record.

A civil judgment, if properly renewed can haunt you for decades.
If the burden is unbearable, BANKRUPTCY can help.
I suggest you consult a BK lawyer to discuss your options.

Quoting Wisconsin Statutes, Sec. 893.40. Action on judgment or decree; court of record.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Except as provided in ss. 846.04 (2) and (3) and 893.415, action upon a judgment or decree of a court of record of any state or of the United States shall be commenced within 20 years after the judgment or decree is entered or be barred.

Agree that you might want to consider bankruptcy & talk to a bankruptcy attorney or two.

Back