Medical Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnichola30

At the time of the birth of my son, I was not working. I was covered by my husband's medical insurance as a dependent. When I registered with the hospital, my husband was listed as the primary person responsible for payment. Month's after my son's birth, we received three bills from the hospital for the portion of the hospital costs not covered by insurance. These medical bills were forwarded to a collection agency because we were unable to pay all of our expenses with my husband's sole income. I recently ordered a credit report from all three credit reporting agencies to see how damaged my credit is due to unemployment. I noticed that one medical bill now appears on my Equifax credit report as an unpaid collection account; the other two medical bills are not listed. All three bills are not listed on my TransUnion and Experian credit reports.

I'm I responsible for these medical bills even if I was a patient and dependant covered by my husband's insurance? If so, wouldn't the other unpaid medical bills appear on my credit report?

It is normal that the credit records of the three bureaus have discrepancies. It depends on to which bureau the collection agencies forward their information. In this case here it seems the agency only forwarded information about one bill to only one bureau yet.

I am I responsible....

In March of 2003 at my work my insurance was changed from Mamsi to Blue crossshield, when I recieved my medical cards they gave me the Traditional card instead of the PPO card that I asked for, when I called the Insurance co to tell them the mistake that they made, they agreed to send me out new cards. In the meantime I had to take my son to the hospital, because when I took my son for a regular shot visit, they gave him two shots in the same leg which caused a staff infection. Now my question is that I recieved a hospital bill for the hospital, which the insurance company after given me the run around finally paid, now two years later I am now recieving a Physician bill for practially 400 hundred dollars. They never sent me a bill for this in anyway, but they sent it to a collection agency who just recieved the claim in August 2005. Now this Collection Agency said they sent me out two bills which I am told that I am ignored, which is not true because I just recieved it yesterday, September 13 2005. They are saying things like you can pay a certain amount and we can settle this. unfortunally I am working on one income which is not very much, I don't have the amount of money they want me to send them. The kicker is I nevered recieved a bill in anyway two years ago, and they say I have. I have called the insurance co to see if I am responsible for this bill. I am responsible and can this be called harrassment? Can you answer this question for me so I know what to say to this collection Agency. They also was very rude to me because whenever I told them I didn't have the money, they would hang up on me. If I have to pay, can I send them the amount that I can afford, not what they are asking for 100 dollars, a month. They also say if I send them 236 dollars it will complete the debt, but I don' t have it to send....What can I do?
Thank you for listening to me
Sincerely,
Gia

your thread that you wrote is quite confusing to start. at any rate, are you saying that if the insurance company had not made an error in cards and coverage for a month or two but had told you that they would correct it and finally did that you would not have been responsable for that amount... meaning they would have covered either more or all of the expense? If so, you should request a formal complaint and hearing.... as they should not ever change benefits during a year as they only work with open enrollment and if they agreed to upgrade your benefits they did so for the whole year of open enrollment.
secong of all.... stop dealing with the collection agency!!! if they dont collect from you, they dont get paid period! they dont care what the problem is or even if you really owe it, as long as they can get it out of you! if you agree with the collection agency and want to pay them..... then do so with what you can afford, when you can.
If this was a hospital bill..... i would go and fill out a request to have the medical records sent to your primary physican. i would then write a registered certified return receipt to the hospital's CEO and the business administrator claiming that the bill was covered 100% by insurance at the time and they billed it in correctly and you are mad as hell and they better get this collection agency off your back as you are not going to pay it.... and if it goes on your credit report you will be sueing them and naming the CEO and business administrator as defendants...... meanwhile write the collection agency a letter disputing the bill and ask for verification..ie.. namely any contract or note bearing your signature within 15 days. have no other communications with them. the hospital will more than likely wish to eat the costs and have the collection agency leave you alone and they will send you an appolagy letter in about 30 days... if not, send another letting them know you are waiting for a response as to their actions or intended actions in this matter. if nothing else... it has bought you time. also, under no circumstances do you pay without written agreement that this will not go on your credit buearo profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back