Medical bill incurred abroad

annabD01

What are the legal implications of not being able to pay for a hospital stay abroad? The hospital is working with Passage Health International based in Florida which specializes in international medical claims. What happens if I'm unable to pay the bill?

To provide additional information on the above:
I had an unfortunate stay at St Luke's hospital in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico.
The hospital has gained notoriety for praying on and scamming American tourists, prompting the US Consulate to issue a warning.
During my hospital stay I misdiagnosed, underwent unnecessary procedures, and was held at the hospital for several hours despite my frequent requests to be released. My US health insurance has paid a small fraction of the cost and the Florida agency involved is asking for an outstanding payment of close to $30,000.

It seems Passage Health International is a company that buys the accounts so you aren't getting away from the debt because they are in Mexico. Your debt in this case should be no different than any other medical debt. Well, that may not be true because for all intents your debt is now owned by a company that has no other job than collecting such debts.

What are the legal implications of not being able to pay for a hospital stay abroad?

If you never return to Mexico, the legal implications are no different than if you incur the bill in your hometown. If you return to Mexico, the legal implications obviously depend on Mexican laws.

What happens if I'm unable to pay the bill?

You could be sued and have a judgment entered against you, which could lead to your wages being garnished, bank accounts levied, liens against property, etc.

I really appreciate all the responses so far.

You could be sued and have a judgment entered against you, which could lead to your wages being garnished, bank accounts levied, liens against property, etc.

That's what I suspected and am most worried about.

Passage Health International submitted the insurance claim to my health insurance. A small portion of the total bill was covered by my health insurance prompting Passage Health to submit an appeal request on my behalf. My health insurance is now asking me to sign an Authorized Representative Form for Passage Health's billing department so they can open an appeal. Does anybody have experience working with these types of companies? Is this advisable or should I consult a lawyer first before taking any further actions?

Then you have two options: 1. sign the document and allow them to argue the insurance decision appeal 2. Don't do so and pretty much give up the idea of an appeal and owe the money.

I would have a lawyer look ANYTHING over before signing it.

Back