K Visa Marrying a citizen while my naturalization in process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrgallardo

Hello, my fiancé of 6 yrs n I recently got legally married, we have been together for a total of 8 yrs n have a 4 yr old boy together. He is a US citizen n I'm in the process of getting my recidency. My sister n I applied thru our mother who currently is only a permanent resident, we applied thru family unity and currently reside n work legally with a work permit. What should my next step be to try to obtain my citizenship. Would it be better to do it thru my husband? Will the process be easier n or go smoother if I hire a lawyer?

You need to get a GC card first before you can start thinking of citizenship. If you have a green card via marriage, you can apply for citizenship three years later if still married. It is normally faster when a citizen files a green card petition for you. If your had filed via your mom, you would either wait or contact your immigration lawyer to see how you can redraw your petition and file via your husband. Your lawyer would evaluate your circumstance and possible date of approval of GC petition and tell you what is best for your case. You need a lawyer to be more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back