Mariage and Lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

adonf

Hello

I got married last february and moved into my wife's appartment in California.

The lease is for one tenant only so I've been hiding for six months, not really knowing what would happen if the landlord learnt that I am leaving here. The landlord doesn't live in the building so it was not too hard but still very annoying.

My wife thinks that the landlord would evict us if he learnt that I stay here.

Is she right about it ? Can a landlord evict their tenant if the tenant has their immediate relatives move in with them and the number of tenants exceeds the number of persons authorised on the lease ?

Then what would happen if we had a lease for 2 people and we had children ? Could the landlord evict us in this case too ?

We're on a month-to month lease now so I guess that the landlord can evict us however he likes, he can just raise the rent to make us leave, but that would be interesting to know for our next appartment.

Thanks

Olivier, tired of transfering money to his wife's account at the end of each month instead of sending one of his own checks, tired of parking in the street, and tired of screening phone calls...

I'm not sure of the rule in CA but in many states, if the lease states that it is for the occupancy of the tenant only and there is no provision allowing a spouse to live with you, it is possible you might be in breach of the lease. In New York or other states with rent control/stabilization laws, having a spouse live with you might be a right afforded by law.

You are correct regarding the month to month tenancy. The landlord can give you notice not to renew the agreement and you would be out within 30 days. As it is right now, your wife has little long term protection without a lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back