Corporate Law Majority Shareholder Won't Buy Me Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcw142

I have been a 40% shareholder of a 2 person subchapter S corp. since 1992. Since 1992, my K-1 has always showed income of over $150,000. However, the majority shareholder (MS) would pay my taxes only and keep the rest for himself. In this time, he has purchased 2 residences, refurbished his main residence to the tune of $1,000,000 (using company checks) and has formed an LLC to purchase our building as well as other properties. In 2006, I requested some of my equity in order to send my twin daughters to college. He promptly refused,saying he didn't have the money, and immediately hired an attorney. I have been in litigation since that time, (2006) and the MS won't buy me out or give me any money. Prior to litigation in 2006, I was debt free, including my house. Since that time, the following has occured:
- I had to take out a mortage ($120,000)
- I had to take out school loans for both of my daughters, current debt is now up to $240,000. My daughters were high school seniors when this all started, now they are college seniors. Repayment of this debt starts in 2010.
- I have accumulated over $100,000 in personal debt in the form of credit cards and checking account overdraft protection.
-the MS terminated my employment in 2007 including health insurance and I was left with no job. I've been working part-time at various $11-$12 per hr. jobs. (my wife works part-time.)

I have an attorney who agreed to work on a contingency basis due to lack of funds, however I am paying the price for this agreement. This lawsuit has been going on for 3 years and 4 months and my attorney won't even return my calls. My questions is- why can't I get my money? I no longer work there and am due my equity. Ironically, I am still a 40% owner but have not seen one stitch of paperwork since August of 2007. I have no idea as to the condition of my investment. Now, the IRS is conducting an investigation of my company and I don't think it will turn out well. The MS has ben taking out money as "interest free loans"to the tune of over $3,000,000. He hasn't shown any of this on his personal income taxes. My attorney said (awhile ago) that he is making a motion to remove him from the business. I just want to be bought out and move on. I am a "hostage" at this point in time, totally broke.Any suggestions?

Unfortunately you are a prime example as to why the US is in such a terrible state. Fraud has gone unchecked and the cost to enforce is simply too high. I am very sorry to hear about your problem and the time it is taking simply to get justice. I haven't seen the paperwork and don't know why it is taking such a long time. What has your attorney shared with you regarding the lack of any movement in this case in almost 3 years, which is remarkable. Unfortunately, the best might be to wait until the IRS audits the company and your ex partner. What has your attorney advised?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back