Pets Maintenance let my dog out and he got killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tippy21

The complex where I live sent out notices about upcoming inspections and repairs. Management came for the first inspection and I asked if there would be any other staff members or vendors entering my house because my 6 year old toy poodle will sometimes bite and I wanted to make sure he was put away in my room. I also wrote a note stating he will bite and to NOT let him outside and asked if I should post it on the door. The staff member told me not to worry about it because they would contact me before anyone else stopped by or entered my house. I left to go out of town for my nephews 2nd birthday, my roommate was puppy sitting for me during this time. She left our house for no more than an hour, during this hour the maintenance crew came in to remove furniture they placed in the house mistakenly, and they let my dog out. I received a call from the front office asking if I was home and notifying me that they let my dog out and had no clue where he had gone. I called my roommate and she, along with several other friends, began to search for him. I called the property manager who seemed to be annoyed that I was upset and concerned. He's a 4 pound toy poodle, and never goes outside alone. Management called back twice to get a description but I didn't hear anything back from them. An hour later the local emergi-vet called to tell me that the complex workers brought my dog in and he had passed away. He had been hit by a car. I feel that the complex I live at should be held responsible. Had they called, as I was told they would, my sweet baby would still be alive. This is heartbreaking for me. Do I have a case against the complex management/maintenance? I know for a fact that this is not the first time they have let other resident's animals out, however, I do believe this is the first time one has passed away because of their actions.

Last edited:
Agree. You do have a valid complaint, but unless you are dealing with some kind of expensive show dog it is not worth the hassle of lawsuits.
It seems they already recognize their responsibility. Have you asked them to pay for the dog? Be reasonable... all you get is the value of the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back