lost client contract copy, my options?

tookien

Jurisdiction
Indiana
Hi,

I created and signed a contract (under general freelance work) with a client but forgot to get a signed copy. I have a copy but only client has actual signed copy.

Although it's unlikely case, in the case the client refused to provide me the copy of the original signed contract or sign a new contract (exactly the same of-course as the original contract), generally speaking, what would be my options?

The reason I ask is that I could spend lots of work time and subsequently some client can just say the contract never existed in the first place.

Is there is a "termination clause" that could apply here, generally speaking?

I want to have that confirmation, and without another copy on my end depending on the client I'm dealing with the risk would be all on my end.

Thanks in advance for any advice

You don't have to sign a contract to have a contract.

Your unsigned contract could be evidence that the agreement and terms existed, especially if you had correspondence regarding the terms.

Performance by both parties can also be evidence that the terms of the agreement existed.

Could the whole thing blow up in your face? Sure? Will it? No way to predict.

I have no idea what you mean by that.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Advice?

Get a regular job so you don't have to deal with the incredibly complex business issues like making sure you have a signed copy of your contract.

:D

You don't have to sign a contract to have a contract.

Your unsigned contract could be evidence that the agreement and terms existed, especially if you had correspondence regarding the terms.

Performance by both parties can also be evidence that the terms of the agreement existed.

Could the whole thing blow up in your face? Sure? Will it? No way to predict.

I have no idea what you mean by that.

Advice?

Get a regular job so you don't have to deal with the incredibly complex business issues like making sure you have a signed copy of your contract.

:D

Thanks. Very much appreciated. You've answered my question.
I do indeed have that evidence.

Not sure if this would qualify as a "complex business issue" though, it's actually pretty simple business transaction but small and sometimes dumb mistakes can happen from time to time, the learning process never stops.
The law on the other hand, can be fairly complex, and that's why I'm here :)

Thanks again, you're great!

Last edited:
Although it's unlikely case, in the case the client refused to provide me the copy of the original signed contract or sign a new contract (exactly the same of-course as the original contract), generally speaking, what would be my options?

I don't really understand the question. If your client has the contract and you don't have a copy and want a copy, the only way to get a copy is from the client. I suppose you could break into your client's office and make a copy, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Are you asking us about the contents of your contract with your client? A contract that no one here has read....

I want to have that confirmation, and without another copy on my end depending on the client I'm dealing with the risk would be all on my end.

Well...if I understood you correctly, you have an unsigned copy of the contract and know that both of you signed the contract, so I really don't see what the issue is.

Back