Looking to get record cleared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilco3

I am looking to see if there is a way to get my past record cleared. Unfortunately, I have a Felony 2 and a felony 4 so I don't think I can have it expunged. The Felony 2 (trafficking) happened in 92 and the Felony 4 (agg assault) happened in 88. I was under the impression that background checks only went back seven years. These are clearly more than seven years old-and I have not had any other offenses since 92. I am catching the blues trying to get a job with various comany's. I am married and have a family, and I feel as if my past will prevent me from putting myself in a position that will make me a better provider.

What can I do? :confused:

Wilco3 said:
I am looking to see if there is a way to get my past record cleared. Unfortunately, I have a Felony 2 and a felony 4 so I don't think I can have it expunged. The Felony 2 (trafficking) happened in 92 and the Felony 4 (agg assault) happened in 88. I was under the impression that background checks only went back seven years. These are clearly more than seven years old-and I have not had any other offenses since 92. I am catching the blues trying to get a job with various comany's. I am married and have a family, and I feel as if my past will prevent me from putting myself in a position that will make me a better provider.

What can I do? :confused:

Much will do with regard to what kind of felonies. Unfortunately you have multiple felonies too. What state are you in?

To begin, the seven year rule is with regard to bankruptcy and credit issues. In addition, some background checking services don't obtain data that is beyond the past 7 years, but that doesn't mean that criminal records that are a matter of public record cannot be obtained.

With regard to felonies there are some states that have laws that can affect a felony conviction, I believe some can have you remove one (strict rules and the rare circumstance) and others can move a felony into a misdemeanor.

I feel for you. I don't think it's fair that what one may do for as a youth could come back to haunt them for the rest of their lives, even if they end up as a radically different person. I know someone who got into a lot of trouble, was fortunate to clean up his life and is now about to take the bar exam. He will make a fantastic attorney. He would never have gotten the chance if his luck was just a slight bit different. There is a large movement trying to push forward laws concerning those who have clean records for a significant period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back