Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Longevity of MIP/MIC (Gross Misdemeanor) on employment checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicoli

I received an MIP/MIC, plead guilty(as recommended by the court), paid my fines and have not had any other trouble since. This was in Oct. of 2005. I thought the judge told me that if I didn't get into any further trouble that the offense would be deferred on my 21st birthday. Not sure of the status of my MIP, I had applied for a job and when asked about any convictions, I marked "no" thinking that the offense was gone. This was just before 5 years had passed, and I was denied the job for incorrectly answering that question. It has now been over 7 years and as a recent college graduate I am looking for work, but worried about still being plagued about something stupid I did when I was 19. While I am pretty sure the MIP will always be on my record as far as law enforcement is concerned, does it at any point stop being able to be seen by potential employers, or do I have to try to get it expunged?

I appreciate any help I can get on this as my attempts to contact the courts for information resulted in being passed off until I hit someones answering machine and then never getting any replies to my messages.

An expunction is the way you can TRY to remove it.

But, much like the internet, it never really goes away, UNLESS you also seek have the court seal the entire matter.

It still isn't removed, but its a lot harder to discover.

These days, its hard to undo what you've done.

Talk to a lawyer, or just reveal what happened.

Most employers won't use that one indiscretion to disqualify you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back