Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct loitering ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveydg6

ok first off i dont know if im posting this rite.

ok i was sitting on my pourch with some friends like 6 and the cops came and said that we were loitering and if we did not leave we would be arrested i live in a apartment buliding and they said it dont matter if i live there or not i aint aloud to be on the pourch beacuse they said its loitering but anyway the cops took or names searched use and told use to go and if they seen us back on the pourch we are gonna get locked up they than searched 2 minors of the age of 13 and 9 and there was no parent or guardien around.is that legal ? am i not aloud to sit on my pourch i even asked my landloards and the other people that live in the building if they care and they dont so are the cops in the wrong ?

Last edited:
I suspect the officers were bluffing or stretching the loitering laws a bit. But, it also depends on the definition of the loitering law in your un-named state.

- Carl

I'm not sure of the loitering laws in PA, but I strongly suspect they do not apply to sitting on your own porch or front steps. The question then becomes, how much you want to defy them? Is it worth the risk of confrontation to call their bluff? Or, do you just shrug and politely head inside for a while? It's entirely your call.

- Carl

i defy theme to the point were they tell me ima get a disorderly conduct fine but when i defy theme i dont do it in a rude way well atleast i dont see it in a rude way i tell theme i live here im aloud to sit here i asked the people in the building i asked the landlords they said go ahead and the only one that complains is the cops i try to call there bluff and thats when they try to get me with disordley so most times i just go in and than come out when they leave but is bs cuz everytime they come they take or name search us and the hole 9 yards...now the only reason i can come up with is that i live in a high crime area and they think were doing something wrong but we dont do anything but chill and everytime they search use they never find anything

idk how i should go about this but im tierd of the cops bs

About all you can do is report the harassment to the agency or call their bluff, risk arrest, and hire an attorney to address the issue. The latter method could be expensive and you could lose ... but, it's your call.

- Carl

I probably shouldn't say anything here - I have no legal expertise. But I am dismayed at how so many people will not put up a fight for their rights. Yes, it does seem it isn't worth it. Just a little thing like sitting on your porch. I can't help but think, though, about a saying I vaguely recall "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance". Shall we all just passively watch our boob tubes and shrug in the face of police bullying? Shall we put our tails between our legs and slink off, obeying the "power"? Yes, it is entirely your call. I just hate what you were told - because it probably is right, or at least it is easy.

As with all things, a decision needs to be weighed carefully. Do you say, "No" and risk arrest even if you might eventually win the criminal case and civil suit one day, or, just go inside until they've gone? You can also call the employing agency and ask about the law and advise that officer's have been saying that it is loitering on their own property. if no such law exists, I imagine the administration might want to know that some of their officers are either misunderstanding the law, or pushing the envelope beyond what is reasonable.

- Carl

Didn't some famous person say something like "If we are willing to trade our freedom for security, then we deserve and shall have neither?" or something like that? And Veteran's Day is almost here and what supposedly did so many past good men give their lives for - was it our freedom? Is this our freedom - not to be able to sit on our porch? My granddaughter was told by a policeman because she didn't live in the town in which she found herself (where her high school was), she needed to "get out of town, you got no business here - get walking" Are you kidding me? Did he think he was the sheriff in the old West or what?

Hence, the reason he has a choice ... he can choose to stand up and defy the officer and see where the law falls in the circumstances he finds himself in (and there might BE a law that covers loitering where he was and when), or he can comply and avoid the confrontation. It's his choice.

- Carl

Should we support the police?

OK, I see it's been a while since this thread began, but I just want to throw a little different perspective on this picture: Unfortunately, a group of teens hangin out often ends with problems. Sorry, but it comes with the age group. The police have a tough job anticipating/preventing situations from developing. If it makes their lives easier to have one innocent group of kids out of the way so they can focus on others that shouldn't be out, couldn't we just go ahead and help them do their jobs? And really, do the other tenants or the manager have the nerve to tell you face to face that it's a nuisance having to climb over you every afternoon. It could be other neighbors who get nervous seeing a group of guys hangin out. Anyhow, I'm sorry you feel you're being picked on, but try to stay respectful, keep in mind the hour, and keep the peace for the greater good. :)
And Grammylaura, what happened to your granddaughter was a disgrace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back