Local community college denies legitimate criteria for a late drop request

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedirye

So, my college book store had a shortage on the PreCalculus textbooks. It was a precarious situation. Given the time frame, I couldn't order it online with shipping and time constraints and to be honest, the bookstore had a pretty fair price for it (shocking). I finally received the textbook from the bookstore the DAY before to add or drop classes without penalty (at 1700 in the day). My first class was Tuesday and I had to decide to add or drop by Friday. I had no chance of doing the online homework or feeling where I actually was in the class (I attended every lecture). Well, I bit the bullet and decided to keep the class. Then Monday rolls around, after spending SEVERAL (5) documented hours over the weekend with the online homework once given the chance, spoke with the instructor about my concerns and how I already felt over my head. Put in a request for a late drop on Thursday (4 school days after the official add/drop date) and was denied by the dean. She agreed to speak with me in person about this situation and, afterwords, stated to write everything in an email and she would talk with my teacher again. I feel she is purposely stalling until I will be forced to withdrawal. She also said on xx day that she left me a voicemail stating she was on vacation hence the lack of communication but none of my printed phone records prove this; I never received a voicemail. I walked in to her office and spoke with her secretary crying because no one said anything about this very important decision in my life. Several articles are documented with an appropriate time line which shows SEVERAL delays. To be honest with you, I feel that if I had the textbook that first day of class on Tuesday, I would have done the work and known by Friday to have dropped this class. The bookstore did not order enough books because they added additional class sections which is a fact. I am on a scholarship and NEVER had a withdrawal. My GPA is 3.7 or so and I have obtained from this college my EMT-Basic certification, EMT-Paramedic certification, Associate in Arts, AS in Emergency Medical Services and currently enrolled in the Registered Nursing program and upon completion will have my AS in Registered Nursing along with my license. And because I am on scholarship, it cost me $16 to sign up for this class but if I have to take the withdrawal it will be $400 to pay back. Do I have a shot in the dark? I'm trying my best not to complain but I just feel if the circumstances were different, I wouldn't be in this situation to begin with. I'm sorry this is so long, I am honestly very emotionally distraught over this (and I don't get like that very often but school is important to me). I really don't want to sue and I really don't want any money (except maybe the $16 I paid for this class heh). I just want to have the request for the late drop approved, and rightfully so, not because I'm a crying baby... Please give insight, even if it isn't in my favor. Perhaps it is something I just need to hear. Thanks for your time!
-rye

30 views and no replies, eh? I don't know whether that's good or bad... My last day to withdraw is November 5th. I sent her an email that she was supposed to get back to me about on October 12th and left a phone number...

I don't know that anyone can give you much insight on this, directly. You already seem to be working within the process as you are supposed to. All you can really do is follow the appeals process that the school provides and see where that takes you.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back