Corporate Law LLC, personal bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbryan

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am part of a LLC who deals in real property. I am 1 of 4 partners and recently have had to declare personal bankruptcy. I got a letter from my LLC and stated that in my agreement that personal bankruptcy automatically involuntarily removed me as a partner from the LLC. I did read the operating agreement and it sites some local codes that do have some verbiage that sounds accurate on this matter. The trustee is investigating any assets in my LLC that I have part ownership in...it has taken a year and the case is still open. My question is...if I was automatically removed from the LLC when I declared how can the trustee be interested in something I don't own anymore? And if he somehow can, or if somehow I still am part owner in the LLC, do I have any rights to any profits of the LLC is for some reason the trustee abandons his interests. It made me immediately suspicious of my partners that they are trying to pull the wool over my eyes...it is possible that the 25% of the LLC has enough assets to pay my creditors off and then some..but it is tied up in real property that obvious would be hard to sell in the current market conditions. Another interesting tidbit is that on the real property owned by the LLC..I never signed a personal guarantee on any loans but 2 of my other partners did. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I doubt that entering personal bankruptcy automatically involuntarily removes you from the LLC. You had an ownership interest in the LLC; it had to be disposed of somehow. Possibly, entering personal bankruptcy requires you to sell your interest in the LLC back to the LLC or to the other owners. In any case, it doesn't just vanish. It appears the bankruptcy trustee is of the same opinion. I suggest you consult a local lawyer to have a read through your operating agreement and determine whether you still have an interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back