Credit Cards, Rating, Repair Living in Texas debt from NJ

Pandura

I have credit card debt from NJ and I now live in TX. I had started a bankruptcy with a lawyer several years ago but never completed it. I've been in TX for about 8 months and just recieved a letter from a lawyer representing Capitol One asking me to verify my address. When I called the law office they explained that they cannot talk to me because I am represented by a lawyer. I explained that I did not pursue that and I am no longer represented by them. They want me to sent this to them in writing before they will discuss the account. I know TX does not allow wage garnishment and my bank account is soley under my husbands name. This bill I owe is about $2000-3000 (not exactly sure). What is the best thing to do? Should I send them this in writing that I am not represented and see what they are doing or is that going to hurt me? Also, what is the extent of what they can do with my being in TX now and no accounts in my name. The bank my husband uses does not have branches in NJ. I don't know if that's relevant.
Thanks so much for any advice you can give. = )
-Melissa

It is up to you what you do, of course, but you don't have to do anything unless you receive some type of official summons.

Lawyers rarely chase small claims level debt. The amount you claim is small claims debt. I doubt a real law firm in NJ is going chase you down in Texas. Why? Because, they'd have to sue you in Texas.

If you're smart, you ONLY respond to a summons to court after a lawsuit has been initiated. Unless you're under oath in a court of law, you have NO obligation to answer anyone's questions. I suggest you no longer respond to any written or telephonic entreaties from any old debt. And no matter what, don't agree to any settlements or pay one dollar on the old debt.

The debt has long ago been written off by the company who issued the card. The people pursuing you likely paid $100 to $300 for the old paper. If they convince you to pay them $1,000 to $1,500; do you see their profits?

I wish you luck.

Back