Living in a commune overseas on non-immigrant visa.

Higby

Jurisdiction
Other
I'm concerned about a group that has been sending Americans with temporary visas to live for one or more years in communes overseas. This group, which oversees a network of quasi-monastic communal living facilities, sends about 10 Americans every year to places like Italy, France, Austria, and Eastern Europe. Currently, about 60 Americans in the organization are in Europe, the great majority of them illegally.

I have been trying to e-mail and call American embassies in Europe, but I have had some trouble making international calls and working my way through the system. I will continue to try and, hopefully, soon be successful.

Are the group and the leadership here in America who oversee these transfers of Americans to Europe and their overstays breaking the law? And, if so, to what agency could I report this organization and its leaders? Are there agencies or people in America to whom I could report these offenders?

Also, to what agency or people in Italy could I report these incidents of overstaying?

Who are you in this and why do you care? How do you know all of these folks are in these various countries illegally? Are you privy to their dealings with the consular services of those countries? Every country has their own rules for visitors. At one time I had employees in 42 countries and originating from even more. It would be up to that individual country to deal with a guest who had overstayed their welcome. Some countries care more than others. There is no one size fits all answer. I'm not sure what your goal is here. You can't make these folks come back to the US and the organization they work for or which sent them is not responsible for their immigration status, unless that person signed an enforceable contract making the company liable and what constitutes an enforceable contract likewise varies from country to country. It is unlikely in the extreme that any country would hold the organization responsible, but the individual might have recourse.

Info for staying in Italy (assuming these are American citizens) can be found here. It is not that difficult to gain permission to stay and would be handled in country.
Visiting/Living in Italy | Italy - United States Diplomatic Mission

I'm concerned about a group that has been sending Americans with temporary visas to live for one or more years in communes overseas. This group, which oversees a network of quasi-monastic communal living facilities, sends about 10 Americans every year to places like Italy, France, Austria, and Eastern Europe. Currently, about 60 Americans in the organization are in Europe, the great majority of them illegally.

I have been trying to e-mail and call American embassies in Europe, but I have had some trouble making international calls and working my way through the system. I will continue to try and, hopefully, soon be successful.

Are the group and the leadership here in America who oversee these transfers of Americans to Europe and their overstays breaking the law? And, if so, to what agency could I report this organization and its leaders? Are there agencies or people in America to whom I could report these offenders?

Also, to what agency or people in Italy could I report these incidents of overstaying?

If the laws of a nation OTHER than the USA are being broken, you'd report the alleged criminal activity to a law enforcement agency in the nation where the CRIMES are allegedly being committed.

I don't know why you are worried about crimes allegedly being commited on another continent when thousands of crimes are being committed in your backyard, OHIO.

But, here you go, for Italy anyway.

Carabinieri
The carabinieri are a special branch of the army (numbering around 113,000), with similar functions to the police, particularly concerning criminal investigation. They deal with national and serious crime, including organised crime, and are Italy's most efficient and professional police force (and the best-funded).

Carabinieri officers are distinguished by their dark blue uniforms with a red stripe down the side of the trousers and white shoulder belts; they also have splendid ceremonial uniforms with long cloaks and 'Napoleonic' hats. They're housed in barracks ( caserma) in all major towns and cities, drive navy blue cars and also employ helicopters, aircraft and speed boats.
State Police
The polizia di stato or polizia statale is a national or state police force, with branches responsible for the security of main roads ( polizia stradale), the rail system ( polizia ferroviaria) and airports ( polizia aereoportuale). Officers wear light blue trousers with a thin purple stripe and a dark blue jacket.

They have stations (questura or a commissariati in smaller towns) in all main towns and cities, and drive light-blue cars with a white stripe and ' Polizia' written on the side. If you want to obtain a residence permit, you should go to the polizia (ask for the Ufficio Stranieri).

I suspect your former "HONEY", or a child has run away to Italy to obey his or her religious beliefs.

Good luck.....

Back