Live Ins. No will all beneficiaries are deceased

Status
Not open for further replies.

gy20

My father passed away 2 years ago and I recently found out he had a life insurance policy. After talking with the company I have found that all the listed beneficiaries have passed away. There is no will and the insurance company has told me that an estate has already been set up for his policy, and that all I had to do was petition the court to become the executor; after that they would be able to send me the proceeds. The policy was issued in NY and all aplicable parties also lived in NY. I honestly do not even know what all this means, and I have no idea what I am doing. This is all a bit overwhelming. :confused:

Make an appointment witht he probate court in the County where he lived. Take the original death certificate and your birth certificate.

My father passed away 2 years ago and I recently found out he had a life insurance policy. After talking with the company I have found that all the listed beneficiaries have passed away. There is no will and the insurance company has told me that an estate has already been set up for his policy, and that all I had to do was petition the court to become the executor; after that they would be able to send me the proceeds. The policy was issued in NY and all aplicable parties also lived in NY. I honestly do not even know what all this means, and I have no idea what I am doing. This is all a bit overwhelming.

lwpat said:
Make an appointment witht he probate court in the County where he lived. Take the original death certificate and your birth certificate.

I googled probate court for my county and came back with SURROGATE'S COURT according to the description they : The Surrogate's Court is established in every county and hears cases involving the affairs of decedents, including the probate of wills and the administration of estates, guardianships, and adoptions. I am assuming that this is where I go? And then I guess I tell them the same thing that I wrote before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back