Life After Being Hit By a Drunk Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sallie

Jurisdiction
California
My Fiancé and I were blindsided by a drunk driver, causing our car to be totaled as well as hers. Some time has gone by, but putting the pieces back together has been slow. We are without a car, but still able to work, even though we are both in a lot of pain. We just can't afford to not work. Our injuries were just average whiplash symptoms at first, but things are compounding, and the pain is getting worse.

What's frustrating is that the doctors just give us more drugs, and the chiropractor is providing minimal relief. Another thing people don't always talk about is the shell shock that comes after bad accidents. I have had to stay home from work sometimes because part of my job revolves around driving delivery vehicles, and on bad days I get major panic attacks and have to pull over because I'm afraid of passing out behind the wheel.

If my debt wasn't so high, I would just quit my job and find a job that would let me work from home, or just walk to work.

We hired a lawyer, but he's making it sound he's not sure how much he will get us. How can I make the best of this situation? Is there a way to maximize my case?

Any help appreciated!

Same answer I gave you on the other site:

Your lawyer's right. He can't guess how much you will get until he can quantify your claim and start negotiating with the other driver's insurance company. That isn't going to happen until you are fully recovered or have reached maximum medical improvement. That could take months and the claim could take years to settle.

So, for the time being I suggest you put aside thoughts of settlement money and get whatever treatment you need to advance your recovery from the injury.

I agree that you should get some therapy for the anxiety before you take more drugs for it as it isn't that difficult getting over the emotional trauma of an auto accident.

I've had several in my lifetime, the worst was the first. When I was 24 I was broadsided by a guy who ran a red light. My car was totaled and I had a head injury (not too serious) and lots of aches and pains from being thrown out of the car (old car - pre seat belts). Took a couple of months to recover but I was still going to school. Bought another car and kept on driving.

All I'm saying is that it gets better.

Let the lawyer do his work and pretend that there is no insurance claim and there's no money coming.

That way you can concentrate on your own well being instead of on how to make the claim worth more money because it could be a year or two until you see any money. It was two years for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back