Liens for Breaking a Lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vCult

I own a 5-store front strip mall. One of my tenants signed a 3-year lease a year ago and just recently sent me a 90-day move out notice. There is nothing in the lease that allows this tenant to move out early by giving a notice. I would prefer not to go after this tenant legally because I believe the cost would be too high. Is it possible to put a lien against the tenant, or at least threaten a lien to try and get a one months rent as a termination fee as well? Can someone give me more information on this, whether its possible, how to do it, or other options I may have. Thank you in advance!!

vCult said:
I own a 5-store front strip mall. One of my tenants signed a 3-year lease a year ago and just recently sent me a 90-day move out notice. There is nothing in the lease that allows this tenant to move out early by giving a notice. I would prefer not to go after this tenant legally because I believe the cost would be too high. Is it possible to put a lien against the tenant, or at least threaten a lien to try and get a one months rent as a termination fee as well? Can someone give me more information on this, whether its possible, how to do it, or other options I may have. Thank you in advance!!

First try to rerent the property. Get a new tenant. Sue for the difference first in small claims court. The tenant probably won't show. If you get a default judgment you can place a lien on the tenant and the tenant will have its joys when trying to buy, sell or deal with property the next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back