License

T

Teenmommy

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hey there, I'm 17, I have a one year old little boy and his father and I are about to get married on New Years Eve. I want to start back going to school but I don't have my licenses. I understand that once I get married I'll be emancipated. The question I was wanting to ask is, can I get my license after I get emancipated as if I were 18? I have goals that I want to reach so that my child will never have to go without, and I never want to have to barrow money. I'm from Bladen County - North Carolina. Thank you so much for taking your time and reading! Have a great day/night!!!

A married juvenile is emancipated by NC statute 7B-3509 "has the same right to make contracts and conveyances, to sue and to be sued, and to transact business as if the petitioner were an adult."

Chapter 7B - Article 35

Unfortunately, I have not found anything in the DMV pages that makes a distinction between a married and unmarried applicant who is under the age of 18:

NCDOT: Your First License

All I can suggest that you do is go to your local DMV office now and ask the question.

If it turns out that our emancipation means nothing to the DMV and you might have to follow the same requirements as anybody else under 18, you'll at least be able to get started.

I'd be willing to bet that your emancipation status means nothing to the DMV - you're still a kid as far as they are concerned. However, it can't hurt to check to make sure.

Well this is what North Carolina has about getting your first license: NCDOT: Your First License

Graduated Licensing is a process by which driver license applicants 15 years of age (but less than 18 years old) can start getting their Driver License.

Now over 18 this is what it says for a new driver over the age of 18: NCDOT: Getting a License or Learner Permit, Steps

So if you're a new driver when 18 or over, then you may have to get a Learner's Permit (that's the first link). You have to have someone as a supervisory role to get a LP. It also says all the documentation you need.

I hope your future husband has a license or your both kind of screwed.

Back