liability for trampoline in yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lubamuck

I have a friend who is moving a few blocks away but doesn't have a yard to put her trampoline. our back yard is uneven so it won't work there. but there is a side/front area it would fit. i am a renter. i am afraid of someone jumping on it and getting hurt and then i'll be in trouble. This is assuming the landlord will agree to it being there. Can i put a sign on it?

A sign should work. However, if there are children nearby that you are aware might play on it, you might want to warn the parents or make sure that the children and the parents understand that they cannot play on the trampoline. If it is in your back yard, it is likely that you will not have problems since it is on your property and not just out in the open right next to public property.

I'm glad you're asking your landlord first. From an insurance standpoint, an unfenced/unprotected trampoline, swimming pool, or spa/jacuzzi is problematic. As a renter, your landlord would most likely assume primary liability if some mishap should happen with the trampoline. Just put yourself in the shoes of a stranger on the street -- if your kid broke a leg on someone's unfenced, readily-available trampoline (sign or no sign), you'd be pretty mad and you'd hold the owner liable for not taking proper care. So you might not want to allow it on your premises, period.

trampoline

I got sued when my trampoline was in the front yard with signs posted. The girl who broke her leg on it was a good friend that I had known for 6 years prior to that. I even ask her not to get on the trampoline because of her age.

The insurance company had to settle with her. The best thing to do is put it up until you get better living arrangements. It's not worth the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back