Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Legality of posting personal data on public website

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW27

Hi,

Could someone please advise on the legality of posting personal details (including a photo) on a public website?

The issue I have is below,

My girlfriend has been maliciously registered on a dogging sex website. As such she was receiving phone calls and text messages from people asking about meeting up etc. I've done some digging and contacted the website in question who have been very helpful. They have cancelled the account and have information relating to the IP address used when the account was created. With this info it would be relatively easy for an authority to find out who did this (we have our suspicions). The site also has info that was posted by the user during what I believe to be chat sessions which to me shows that the person involved has been masquerading as my partner.

The police have been contacted regarding this who have said it's not a criminal issue.

I am confused as to how this can't be a criminal issue if her phone number and picture have been added to this site without her consent. As she has received calls and text messages because of what has been done is this not some form of indirect harassment?

Furthermore- if the person who is responsible is the person I suspect they have a history of aggressive and anti-social behaviour which is worrying both to my partner and I.

I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Many thanks

Depending on your state, a photo and even a phone number may not be personal information that trip your state's identity theft statutes. In any event, this is likely outside the capability of the local police anyway. Without any loss or damage, there may be no great impetus to pursue this by the police or the prosecutor.

Additionally, this is a matter for your girlfriend, not you - she is the "victim".

You have managed to get the information taken down, and that may be about all you can expect. But, you are free to hire a private investigator to look into the matter as well. Though I suspect that will be a lot of money for little gain.

Check the website for your state Attorney General or state police and search for tips relating to Identity Theft. There may be some links to information can be of assistance.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back