Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Legality of Craigslist in Oklahoma // Police Luring Into Sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

DolAmroth2010

This is kind of embarassing... I posted an ad for sex in the men for men section of Craigslist, for my area of Oklahoma. It was a stupid thing to do, apparently. I got an e-mail response to the ad last night and I did a google search of the e-mail address it came from, to see if I could figure out who it was and whether I actually wanted to talk to the person, and I found out that the e-mail came from a state law enforcement officer, specifically the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

I have two questions. First, is it illegal to post on Craigslist in Oklahoma and ask for sex? Not prostitution, no money is/was involved, so I always assumed it was legal. But is it? Second, is law enforcement allowed to pose as someone looking for sex to lure me in? If it is illegal to use Craigslist to look for sex, then shouldn't it be illegal for police to use Craigslist in the same fashion?

Here's the other part of this: I KNOW the OSBI agent who sent me the e-mail. I've had dealings with him before, though not because of anything I did, I was the victim of a crime a year ago and he handled the investigation. What does it mean that he is now claiming to want to have sex with me via e-mail and Craigslist???

The ads are not illegal unless they request payment of other compensation (prostitution).
That does not mean that people still do not use it for that purpose- just without explicitly advertising it as such on the website.
It is not unlawful for the police to make or respond to an ad- they do so, meet with someone, and see if they will offer or accept payment for sex. If so, it's a good bust. No, it is not entrapment.
As for the agent... if you know who it is and don't want contact with that person, then don't reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back