Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Legal question: petty theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgallagher

Sacramento County, California, USA

First time offense of petty shoplifting, approx $32 USD.

I don't have anything on my record, not even a speeding ticket. I received a citation for a misdemeanor, was told I would get court date information in approx 3 weeks.

I am willing to get a lawyer if I need one, but do I need one in this case?

Can I get these charges dropped, or lessened in any way?

Your advice is appreciated and thank you.

I wish there is a site that would cater mostly on petty theft and consequences of it... I was in your shoe a month ago and was told by the LP to just plead guilty and Ill be okay and it will just be like getting a speeding ticket...I was a wreck emotionally and my mind is in shock ... After a couple of days I was able to think things through and decided to call a lawyer and informed him that I may loose everything...my carreer and immigration status...had I listened to the LP and not my heart and mind I may not be able to get a reasonable deal in my case. I called a lawyer and was able to get an agreement with the state attorney (40 hours community service and a class to attend) no guilty plea needed and upon completion will go back 3.5 months after and have the case dropped. I suggest you get yourself a reasonable lawyer and has experience on the matter. Just like what I read on some forum... its better to spend money on a lawyer than throw your life away...we all may think that this is nothing but when we are in the situation we realize how much we will loose. Goodluck and I hope you get a good lawyer :)

Lawyers know their way in the court system, but that's all. I wouldn't want to deal with one otherwise. I hired one for my petty theft case. He went to the first court date for me, which is the one where you plead. I didn't have to go to that one, which was great because I was out of town. I was set to go to the next court date 3 months later, on August 30, however, Hurricane Katrina hit the city the day before. I relocated to a city 2 1/2 hours away from New Orleans. The court date was rescheduled for February. However, my lawyer asked for a continuance, and I drove 2 1/2 hours to pick up a sheet of paper with another date and time on it. I went back on that date in April. On the way, I called my lawyer, who told me "oh yeah, I'm asking for another continuance, sorry I didn't tell you". I just went ahead and did it without him. It had been 14 months since I got caught for stealing some fruits and vegetables at Wal-mart, and I was tired of all the nonsense it had brought me.

I'm now paying him a bunch of money again to do the expungement for me. Now I know not to commit a crime again if I can help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back