Legal advise very much needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmd

Ok, so here's the deal.
We had rented a room to a fellow and a couple of months
ago he told us he was leaving in a week (gave us a week notice). Then a few days later he changed his mind. We talked about his damage deposit and that it is not fair he only gives us a week's notice. He agreed and promised to give us a month next time he decides to move.

Then the next month, he gave us 4 days notice. He moved out and left all of his furniture and things in the room he was renting and didn't say a word as to what we are suppose to do with it. He told our other roomate that his friend will come and pick up the stuff but the end of the month came and still nobody stopped by to pick up his furniture. It was not until the first week of July that somebody showed up for his stuff but only took the little boxes.

We had to pack up what he left behind and move the furniture out of the room and clean out all the stuff he left behind. He also did not leave his key behind so we had to change the locks. His furniture and personal things are still in our garage taking up space.
Now he's demanding to have his full damage deposit of $500 back by the this Thursday July 31st or else there will be trouble (as he put it in one on his emails)(Is that considered a threat?). He also said that he would come to Calgary to get the deposit if he have to if it's not in his account by then.
We had listed out the deductions to him and he still demands to get the full amount and that is final.

My question is, do we have legal right to not give back the deposit or part of it which we treated as his last month's rent for this month of July? Since he
didn't completely vacated his room and we had to do it for him. We
did not have any contract as it was month to month.

I had ask the tenancy act and they said "The Residential Tenancies Act does not apply to tenancies people who share a landlord's
living quarters as though they were a part of the landlord's family.
If this is the case, you may wish to seek legal advice in regards
to the security deposit."

I can't really afford to pay for legal advise right now. So I am hoping somebody here can help me just incase this guy decides to take us to court.
When the person renter only gives you four days notice before the end of the month, does it give us the right to keep the damage deposit as last months rent?

Please help! He is now harassing us and I am afraid for my safety as
I do not know what he is capable of.

Thank you so much for your time!

Shaey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back