1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Legal action against HS or university for not letting me graduate due to unique circumstances?

Discussion in 'Education Law, School System' started by ElizabethFeld, Feb 9, 2019.

  1. ElizabethFeld

    ElizabethFeld Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I am currently a senior in high school who is fully enrolled as a college freshman at a local university. My high school pays for my courses at the university. However, the faculty at my university are on strike and could possibly be striking for the rest of the semester. Some students have had their courses canceled “until further notice” and others have been notified they may not graduate from the university on time as a result of said cancellations.
    Here’s where it gets messy for me specifically as a HS senior. My school board’s policy is that all high schoolers must take one math class in each grade 9-12. I currenrlt take a college agebra course to satisfy this policy. However, I took a high school math class in 8th grade, meaning I (in theory) will graduate with 5 HS math credits while others only have 4. I have surpassed all of the required credits for graduation (in all subject areas) and am only taking a math course to satisfy my school boards requirement of one math class per each year of HS.
    I was informed that if my math class at my university is canceled and I ultimately do not receive credit for it, it cannot be guaranteed that I will graduate HS this coming May. Enrolling in any other math courses with my high school or another university is not an option.
    So, if my math course at my university is canceled and I do not receive credit, and my high school rules me ineligible for an on-time graduation (remembering I have fulfilled credit requirements but would not satisfy the 1 math class/year requirement) is there ANY legal action I can take, whether it be against the district of my HS or my university?
  2. mightymoose

    mightymoose Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    No, not really. It isn't so much a legal issue as it is one of policy.
    Your best bet is to discuss this with the powers that be at your high school and see if they will allow a waiver due to special circumstances.
    If that doesn't seem to go anywhere you might try contacting the school board and making the same request/argument.
    I am sure there is a solution for you. Just remember that the situation is unique for them as well. Everyone has to figure out what to do.
    If you are a minor you will likely need your parents to do these things for you, but you can certainly be involved.
    army judge and ElizabethFeld like this.
  3. hrforme

    hrforme Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Talk to the school board- this is higher than your local admin if it is due to a union strike. I can't believe you would be the only HS Sr in this situation. Since this is a deal between the school district and the university (dual credit) and the HS pays the bills, they have an investment too....

    But also look into online college classes.... I don't mean for this to sound like an ad, but one of my daughters was able to take a low level college class at straighterline.com that counted at her large university and was able to do so on her timing and was able to complete it early.
    army judge likes this.
  4. zddoodah

    zddoodah Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    No. Your parents should be discussing this with your counselor and the school administration and, if necessary, the school board.

Share This Page