left with no options to get my kid to school

Mute9003

Jurisdiction
Washington
my kid's elementary school starts at 9:10
Or if he eats breakfast it opens at 8:50
front doors are closed before that.

I have to be at work at 9am and 15 minutes to get there
I spoke to school and they ignore the issue saying that there is no supervision before that time and not even security cameras at the front entrance (which is a lie) but ahe says that there is a before/after school program in school that costs about 300 a month. Which most of low income parents cant even afford.
Then i speak to transportation and they are locking parents out of busses too he told me they will have RFID tags for each student so i wont be able to just drop him off at a school bus stop like i have been doing for last 2 years.
I feel like the school either trying to force parents to get into this paid program to create more revenue or have some kind of deal with those businesses where they are literally leaving people no options.
The busses are full, the daycares and pre/after school peograms are full with a waiting list, and schools are not willing to open even 5 minutes earlier. I feel like something shady is going on in this school district.

What can i do with this? Because if i get kicked off his school bus i cant take him to school since im a single parent and dont have anyone else to take him.

Perhaps you need to work with your employer to allow you to come in a little later and maybe stay a little later.

Who do you think is supposed to pay for supervising your kid?

I spoke to school and they ignore the issue saying that there is no supervision before that time and not even security cameras at the front entrance (which is a lie) but ahe says that there is a before/after school program in school that costs about 300 a month. Which most of low income parents cant even afford.
Then i speak to transportation and they are locking parents out of busses too he told me they will have RFID tags for each student so i wont be able to just drop him off at a school bus stop like i have been doing for last 2 years.
I feel like the school either trying to force parents to get into this paid program to create more revenue or have some kind of deal with those businesses where they are literally leaving people no options.
The busses are full, the daycares and pre/after school peograms are full with a waiting list, and schools are not willing to open even 5 minutes earlier. I feel like something shady is going on in this school district.

What can i do with this? Because if i get kicked off his school bus i cant take him to school since im a single parent and dont have anyone else to take him.
Hire a sitter for an hour in the mornings.
Talk to your childs friends parents and see if they would take him to school with their child. Quid pro quo: you could offer to sit for their child/ren severl times a week while they run errands,have an appointment or just if they want to have date night.

Why would school make such a ridiculous opening time when they know that most people need to be at work at 9am. Its not just my kid.
They constantly complain about overfilled busses and parents dropping their kids off at bus stops.
And not having enough childcare andnthem also being filled with long waiting lists, and then wont open 10-15 minutes earlier.

my employer is a small shop of me being the manager. I already have to leave hour and a half early to pick him up from school
I cant just make up my own hours

Why would school make such a ridiculous opening time when they know that most people need to be at work at 9am. Its not just my kid.
They constantly complain about overfilled busses and parents dropping their kids off at bus stops.
And not having enough childcare andnthem also being filled with long waiting lists, and then wont open 10-15 minutes earlier.
Do you realize how much it would cost the district to open 15 min's early to accommodate your schedule? Hint: Ten's of thousands of dollars more that it would for you to hire a sitter for an hour or so a day.

my employer is a small shop of me being the manager. I already have to leave hour and a half early to pick him up from school
I cant just make up my own hours
Read post #3. Those are alternatives for you. Worked for me when I had the same problem you are having.

This school district is literally wasting money on useless things to keep their budgets up. They cant find where to spend their money and then say they are unable to open few minutes earlier?
It was in local news multiple times in the past

I'm sorry that we can't offer the answers that you would like to hear. You may wish to vocalize your concerns at upcoming school board meetings. The new may also be another option for you. Good luck to you.

What can i do with this?

You can speak with your employer and see if you can be allowed to start work 30 to 60 minutes later.

You can see if there is a friend, neighbor, or other trusted adult who would be willing to take your child to school for a small fee each week.

You can pay the school's fee of $300 for the before-after school program.

I am sure there are many other options available to you.

But, you're an adult and being an adult requires EACH of us to FIGURE it out!

Good luck.

This school district is literally wasting money on useless things to keep their budgets up. They cant find where to spend their money and then say they are unable to open few minutes earlier?
I don't know if you realize how ridiculous you seem. I and others gave you options. It is beyond incredible that you honestly expect the tax payers of your district to pay huge amounts of money because you can't be bothered to hire a sitter or call sonny's BFF parents and ask for a favor.

You can give custody to your ex and your ex can figure out how to get the kid to school on time.

I'm sorry, but it is utterly unreasonable of you to expect the school district to pay employees to be there earlier so that they can watch your kid. Your work schedule is not their problem, but the work schedule of the employees of the school district who would have to come in early/stay late/be paid by the school district (i.e. the taxpayers) is their problem. The school employees and teachers already have plenty to do in the hours before and after school without having children dropped off early because the school hours are inconvenient to your work schedule.

If you don't live far enough to be picked up by bus then you must be close enough to walk. How old is your child? Why not just walk to school, leaving at a time that ensures the campus is open on arrival?

I would assume you're not the only one this is happening to...... Get parents together and find one of them that can herd the children together. You have several suggestions that will help this issue.

Most bus stops have more than one kid. Talk to the other parents about rotating supervision between you, so not everyone has to be there every morning. How old is your child? How far is the stop? My oldest had a friend who was dropped off here w/his younger brother each morning, and I took them to my kids' stop each morning. No big deal. The other parent took my oldest to Scouts each week.

There are work-arounds for most situations. Have an elderly person who might like some company in the morning? In exchange for kiddo taking out the trash? Or yard work on the w/e?

Suppose the school WERE to open the doors earlier.... What do the parents working that extra time supposed to do with THEIR kid(s)?

Another point to bear in mind is that many school districts use the same buses to transport all levels. The town I live in has two HS, two MSs, and six ESs - each level has a different start time and the same buses transport to each school, depending on start time. Changing start time for one level would affect the others.

What's the legal question here? I'm a single parent - I had to put my daughter into before/after school care when she started kindergarten. Before that - she's been in daycare since she was 11 months old when I left her dad. Sucks but I have no choice.

I think as someone said you need to talk to your employer about your schedule. There is nothing "shady" going on with the school district.

Back