Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Left Utilities in Landlord's name and now have to put in my name. Will I get in trouble?

dortonk.15

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
In December 2015, I moved to Charlotte to a rental home and I couldn't afford to pay the electric deposit which is $250 cause I have no credit so I just left it in whoever's name it was in (found out it was my landlord's) and was going to pay it when I got my refund but then my car's engine blew so I had to use my refund for that. So I never switched it over and they came and turned the electricity off on Friday. My dad loaned me the $250 on Saturday to put it in my name and get my electricity back on but will they actually turn it back on or not until I can pay for the last 2 and half months electricity? And will I get in any legal trouble for leaving it in my landlord's name? I've been totally freaking out about getting criminal charges for this. I called Duke Energy on Saturday and did the whole start service application over the phone to get it in my name and now their energy protection is calling my landlord to verify I live there. Landlord has not paid the electricity there so it's not like I stole his identity or anything he had it on when I moved in and I would set up a payment plan if the utility company will let me to pay it once it's in my name but I can't afford to pay more than the electric deposit now and I can't afford to go to jail, or lose my job. I'm the only one working in my household and I'm in college with a scholarship so I'd wreck my entire future if I do get criminal charges over this. What's going to happen? What can I do?

What happens is between you, the utility company, and your landlord.

I doubt if you'll be criminally charged for anything but if you don't pay in full the landlord could get hit with the bill and that could get you evicted if you don't pay him right now.

Back