Leasing company repossessed car without notice, forcing to buy out lease without letting see the car

mckenneth

Jurisdiction
California
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Good afternoon,

Thank you in advance for your help,

My lady has been leasing a car from a company and has been paying her monthly payments without ever being late. This month (June) she forgot that her lease ended in May. The Leasing company still charged her account for the month of June. Then on June 4th, while she was at work, without warning, the Leasing company towed and repossessed her car. On Saturday. She was stranded without her belongings all weekend.

When she was finally able to get a hold of the company on Monday, they told her the car is kept at a towing yard. But she would not be able to see the car or retrieve her belongings until she buys out the lease.

The reviews on the towing company mostly say the company steals peoples' property and damages their cars, and many lawsuits were filed against the company, but it's still in business.

This leads me to believe she is about to be put into a far worse situation than she is in now. Because she needs to take out a bank loan to pay off the lease, send it to the leasing company, which releases the car from the Tow Yard.

The tow yard has told her they are only charging her $15/day, which I think is a lie. There may be a large sum she would have to pay to get the car out.

I don't have any reason to trust either of these businesses, which is why, I think the following will happen:

-Once the lease has been paid off, she will find out that most of her belongings are missing,
-The car has had damage from being towed or broken into by the towing company, or even a broken transmission, axles, parking brake, etc.
-The towing company is going to charge her some ridiculous amount to get her car out of the yard, on top of what she already took out on loan from the bank, which she won't be able to afford

Nobody, in their right mind, would ever pay for a car they haven't inspected, and she is not even allowed to see it.

She insists on continuing to pay for the car, which I think is a mistake, but I want to make sure that she, and her money, are legally protected.
And I want to make sure she is getting the car and her belongings back in the exact shape they were before being towed.

------1. How can she protect herself against damages by the towing company in this process?

What actions would you recommend she takes? She does not even like the car and wants to sell it after buying out the lease

My advice to her so far:

She would demand that she sees the car and gets her property back before finalizing the loan, and that the cost of retrieving the car from the tow yard is both covered by the Value of the loan and by the Terms of the loan.

If denied, she should not proceed with the lease buyout, because she would suspect there is something wrong with the car that is being hidden from her,
and that a lawsuit is inevitable either way, so she would much be better off getting sued, and defending herself in court,
than having to sue a corrupt towing or leasing company and probably never get her money back.

So she would let the leasing company deal with the towing company, since it's still their car, she would probably never see her belongings again, which are only worth about $300

Next, she would close her bank accounts, etc. so they cannot illegally charge her again, like they did in June

She would let them auction the car, determine the difference between price of new car - lease total - sale price at auction = total owed to leasing company, etc.

if the difference seems reasonable, she would pay it off.

If they are crooks, as most automotive places are, and they try to bill her (for example more than $1000), claiming damage, towing storage costs, etc. She would refuse to pay and wait for them to summon her in court.

In court, she would try to settle for a smaller amount (under $1000), if they refuse, she would present that they broke the contract first, by charging her for a month they weren't supposed to charge, towing the car, refusing to return her property, and refusing to let her see the car before purchase.

If they still win, they will obtain a "judgement of deficiency"

According to this website: How Are Deficiency Judgments Collected? - AllLaw.com
The judgement still needs to be collected, and may not be worth it for the plaintiff.

In this situation, she is a minimum wage worker, without kids, she moves around the country a lot, and she already has $60,000 of college debt that she is slowly paying off, and her parents live in another country

In the above website, it states:

"Your lender won't sue you if they don't stand to recover anything. If you, like many borrowers in foreclosure, have no income or assets that your lender can seize with a deficiency judgment, you're considered "judgment proof," and your lender won't sue you for the deficiency."

------2. In this case, would she be "judgement proof"?
------3. Would she have any defense in court?
------4. What court would she be sued in? Small Claims?

The cost of the car new was around $22000, now, 4 years later, its $16,000 (this is what the leasing company is asking for)
Kelley Blue Book lists it lower, around $14,000. So if she does sell it after, she might lose somewhere around $2000.
I would suspect the bill sent to her by the leasing company would not be substantially larger.
------5. If anyone has had experience with this, can you tell approximately how much they may try to charge her?

------6. Can she add a condition for the loan, that would require the leasing company to have the car and property back to her in the same exact condition as before repossession, otherwise the loan may be reversed to the bank.

------7. And lastly, is my logic above correct? I keep telling her that until she takes out that loan to the leasing company, the car is not her problem, and once she does, then all of these problems become her problem. Right now she has an upper hand because it's not yet her car.

------8. If the leasing company wins the judgement, but she is no able to pay it off, can they seek a second judgement against her family, who co-signed on the lease, but are not in the country?

She is in a good position where she can just walk away, and let one bad business deal with another, and maybe settle a few months later for a small amount.

What do you think?
Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thank you,

I think she should do as her contract requires.
I think she should read her contract.
I think if she heeds your advice, her finances will become much messier.
I think you shouldn't give other people financial advice because your advice is simply wrong.

Thanks for your replies, but they don't really answer any of my questions except #7.

I'm asking how she can protect herself in case the car is damaged, missing, or refused to be returned to her by the tow company unless she pays a ridiculous fee.

The second part of that, about the "judgement of deficiency" is the last resort. Because by my calculation, it's more affordable to her than risking losing a lot more money on the car.

I'm asking how she can take preemptive action, because both of these companies appear to be trying to cheat her out of a lot of money.

I know that my advice is wrong, but telling her to go ahead and pay for a car that she hasn't seen or doesn't know the whereabouts of seems even more wrong.

Thanks,

Sorry, there is no "pre-emptive" steps to take. The law gives people remedies WHEN they are damaged not when they think they might be damaged.

She has contractual obligations to comply with.

Here are her options:

1 - Pay what she owes, get the car back, handle anything that goes wrong if and when it goes wrong.

2 - Default and suffer the consequences of lawsuit, collection agencies, wage garnishment, etc.

Thanks for your replies, but they don't really answer any of my questions except #7.

I'm asking how she can protect herself in case the car is damaged, missing, or refused to be returned to her by the tow company unless she pays a ridiculous fee.

The second part of that, about the "judgement of deficiency" is the last resort. Because by my calculation, it's more affordable to her than risking losing a lot more money on the car.

I'm asking how she can take preemptive action, because both of these companies appear to be trying to cheat her out of a lot of money.

I know that my advice is wrong, but telling her to go ahead and pay for a car that she hasn't seen or doesn't know the whereabouts of seems even more wrong.

Thanks,

If the car is damaged, she files a claim with her insurance.
Her insurance will investigate.

Or, she can file a claim against the storage yard.

No need to worry about things you don't know.

If the lot won't allow her to examine the car prior to redemption, not much more she can do, until she brings her payments current.

As far as protection, her insurance is her silent protection.

Ok thank you, the insurance approach seems like the correct answer to me. She has comprehensive insurance

One question: why is she not allowed to pick up her belongings at the lot? Isn't this equivalent to theft. What if she had medication in her car that she needs to take daily?

What about her other belongings? What should we do if we go to pick up the car, and some of them are missing?

My first instinct would be to call the police department, immediately and tell them to send an officer to the tow yard to file a crime report. This is no different than what I would do if, for example, someone breaks into my house.

Last edited:
Ok thank you, the insurance approach seems like the correct answer to me. She has comprehensive insurance

One question: why is she not allowed to pick up her belongings at the lot? Isn't this equivalent to theft. What if she had medication in her car that she needs to take daily?

What about her other belongings? What should we do if we go to pick up the car, and some of them are missing?

My first instinct would be to call the police department, immediately and tell them to send an officer to the tow yard to file a crime report. This is no different than what I would do if, for example, someone breaks into my house.

I can't answer for the storage lot.

I suggest she call them and ask if she can come to the lot to retrieve her personal effects.

Most storage lots will allow people to do that, especially if you're very nice.

Pretend to GAF, show respect, be polite, and most people cooperate with you.

Back