Lease signed with keys, now withdrawing move-in date for untimely payment of deposit.

DHidalgo6

Jurisdiction
California
Hi I signed my lease and recieved my keys but now the private landlord is saying I can't move in yet without getting the deposit first, after verbally acknowledging her deoosit payment would be coming from a non-profit organization called PATH.

If I am on section 8 and have payed my portion of the rent to her already, Is she allowed to backout on my move in date after signing the lease with my move-in date already, giving the keys to me, and accepting my portion of the monthly rent from me already ?

I signed my lease and recieved my keys but now the private landlord is saying I can't move in yet without getting the deposit first

It was pretty dumb for the landlord to give you keys before the deposit was paid, but it's hardly unreasonable (and, in fact, quite customary and certainly not illegal) not to let you move in until the deposit has been paid (and it matters not where the deposit is coming from).

her deoosit payment would be coming from a non-profit organization called PATH.

I suggest you contact PATH immediately and find out how and when the deposit is going to be paid.

It's not up to the LL to chase it down.

It's up to you to make sure it gets paid before you get to move in no matter where it comes from.

Back