Lease issue...please advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofia

Hello Sir/Madam,

I have been renting a place in Chicago starting from 1st Aug 2007.

The lease is for one year period, but for reasonable conditions I had to move to a location close to work and I informed the Landlord in the month of December that we will be moving. Since then we have been paying rent of the apartment and have been showing to new possible tenants every week and most of the weekdays too. In the meantime, the landlord had painted the house and changed a few tiles and did some work on the apartment when the apartment was vacant(on his own wish).

Unfortunately we had no luck so far, but recently I had people who are willing to take over my lease and want to stay in the apartment till the time I have lease and might consider to sign a lease for one year, once my lease ends.

On contacting the landlord with a request for sub-leasing the apartment and letting him know I will be responsible for all the legal things as per the lease he rejects to accept it and is only willing to let someone move in if we get someone who is intrested in leasing the apartment for one year.

The apartment has been vacant since Jan 1st 2008 and I just cannot afford it anymore and on asking to sublease it, he is rejecting the request.

Meanwhile, I never happened to get the copy of the lease agreement and upon requesting to get a copy of lease he tries to divert the topic and tells us that, if I don't appreciate to what he is been doing with us like he has accepted to rent the place to another tenant if they sign for one year and also he renovated the place, he won't be doing so and will make sure that I have to pay till July and will not accept any other tenants till July, just for asking for a copy of lease.

We just want to make sure like many other lease terms we can inform the landlord two months ahead of time and would like to find a way to get a release from it.

In a scenario like this I would like to know what does the law obligates me to do.

You can contact me at Sofia (630-642-0692)

I would really appreciate to get a feedback from you.

Thanks for your time,
Sofia
630-642-0692

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back