Lease Inconsistency

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDtenate

My jurisdiction is: Maryland

In November we signed our lease for a house we moved into at the end of December. Because the landlady did not have a copier, she filled out 2 leases by hand, and we each signed both.

Since then, it has been our copy of the lease that she has updated each time we made a payment towards our security deposit.

Our landlady informed us last week that she plans to sell the house we are currently renting. I sent her an e-mail requesting that she be sure to inform the realtor that we still have 17 months on our lease. She responded back asking how so, she said we had only signed a 12 month lease which would leave us with 5 months. I explained to her that SHE wrote 12/31/2010 on the lease. She asked to come see the lease, when she did she stated that it must have been an "opps" on her part. She also said that her copy of the lease has 12/31/2009 on it.

She just sent me a text message stating that the "realtor has been put on hold". But I don't know that she still plans to uphold the 2 year lease. Which date would be the "valid" date for move out? At this point I don't think we need to do anything immediately, but I would kind of like to know what our options are.

Which date did the two of you agree upon when you made the agreement? If what you're telling me is that only one lease agreement contained written modifications agreed upon by the parties then that is the one that governs.

We had discussed both a 1 year and a 2 year lease, when we signed the lease we saw the date of 2010 and figured that the landlady had decided to go with a 2 year lease. Neither was changed after signing, according to the landlady, it was a typo that is only on the one lease. They were both filled out at the same time due to her not having a copier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back