Security Deposit Lease AND month to month

G

Hi all,

I'll be brief:

Here's the background info - I have a lease on a rental property through a property management group here in Florida. My lease is up on June 30, 2015. There is also a clause in the lease than states that either party may give notice that they are terminating the lease at any time with a minimum 30 days notice.

Here's the situation - Back in March, I was informed by my property manager that the owner wished to sell the property. He said that should the property be sold to an investor and that investor want to maintain tenants, that our lease would be transferred to that investor. If the property were to be sold to an individual or family that wanted to occupy the dwelling, than we would be given the 30 days notice (per the clause in the lease) to vacate.

I cannot risk having only 30 days to find an appropriate new home and relocate myself, all of my belongings, and my two large dogs, so I began to search for homes just in case I was to be kicked out. On April 15th, a contract was put on the house (for an individual looking to reside in the home). We submitted an intent to vacate on April 27th to the property management group. The contract to purchase the home was rescinded a day or two before I submitted the notice of my intent to vacate.

I have since received information from the property management group about the refund of my deposit. It states the following in my lease (according to the property manager...I haven't had a chance to look at it yet):

RETURN OF SECURITY DEPOSIT
A. Full term of the lease has expired and the Tenant has complied with all other provisions in the Agreement.
B., C., D., etc. (all to do with the condition of the home).

My question is this: If we have enacted the 30 day termination clause (because there was a contract on the house) is this consider breaking our lease or not waiting until the "full term of the lease has expired"?

I'm afraid I will not get my security deposit back. Any help with clarification is greatly appreciated!

From what you posted, I read that you gave the 30 day notice. You just gave it earlier than required, but your move out date is June 30th.
Until you've moved out and received a full accounting of any damages or repairs the landlord makes, you won't know about your deposit.

Florida allows the LL 15 or 30 days to return or explain why the FULL deposit won't be returned.

Here, read about Florida's law in full:

http://securitydepositrefund.org/florida-renters-rights-law.html

Back