Leaking ceiling landlord refuses to respond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barberdude

Back in April 2003 my bathroom ceiling started leaking bad and I called the landlord about it. I took pics before and after. It ended up taking him 3 -4 months to fix. Now it is Dec. 7 and yesterday I noticed about 5 good drips coming out of the ceiling. I call the landlord and he came by an hour or so later with 3 guys they looked at it for a brief second and left. 3 hours later I called and left a message. He doesnt call back even though I tell him its an emergency. It is now the next day and it is pouring through the walls. I am afraid it will catch fire! What should I do since he will do nothing about it. Thanks for any help! John

I'd take pictures and move my items as soon as possible. I may also choose to 'abate' rent -- pay less than the alotted amount but also include a letter. It needs to be a reasonable amount and is usually a small percentage unless you need to move out.

I'm wondering how you are worried that the water pouring through the walls will catch fire? ;) Perhaps you are worried about the electrical system and that is valid. You should document everything and make sure that before you make a decision whether to vacate or abate you sent a certified letter to the landlord first. Always good measure.

Originally posted by Barberdude
Back in April 2003 my bathroom ceiling started leaking bad and I called the landlord about it. I took pics before and after. It ended up taking him 3 -4 months to fix. Now it is Dec. 7 and yesterday I noticed about 5 good drips coming out of the ceiling. I call the landlord and he came by an hour or so later with 3 guys they looked at it for a brief second and left. 3 hours later I called and left a message. He doesnt call back even though I tell him its an emergency. It is now the next day and it is pouring through the walls. I am afraid it will catch fire! What should I do since he will do nothing about it. Thanks for any help! John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back