Law Firm Breech of Confidentiality

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgbear

Not really sure if this is the correct forum but I recently retained a lawyer to file a Chapter 7 personal bankrupcty. I have only seen the lawyer once and mostly deal with a very unprofessional legal assistant, I'm assuming, as she might just be a secretary. When she was gathering some information to file our petition she noticed our street address and asked if I knew the neighbors at this other address on the same street. Turns out it was our next door neighbor that I've only talked to a few times but she preceded to tell me that they were clients of theirs and were filing for bankrupcty as well and will ultimately be losing their home. I was shocked to say the least that she would reveal such confidential information to me and began to worry that she might disclose to our neighbors that we are filing as well. I felt very uncomfortable but have already paid the laywer in full. Is this legal? What should I do if anything?

There are many things you can do. Let the attorney know what happened. Second, you can notify the BBB. That was completely unprofessional and nevertheless, unacceptable. I would seriously consider another attorney or fee arbitration to get your money back

I don't think this is a malpractice case, just a mindless assistant. Right now I'm dealing with a California legal malpractice case that would make your head spin. I'm so shocked I cannot begin to tell you -- and it's not just the assistant. You might want to discuss it with the attorney if you feel so inclined or just get another attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back