Late Rental Payment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandasan

My jurisdiction is: Fairfax, Virginia

When I moved in with my new roommates it was agreed that my portion of the rent would be $650 and I was to pay a $250 REFUNDABLE security deposit at a later date. Two months passed and I forgot about paying the deposit, it was also never mentioned to me. My roommate and I got into an argument in the beginning of June and she wrote a letter saying that she would like the deposit by the end of the month. Unfortunately the next week I was out of a job and thus could not pay. We did not speak to each other this entire time. The only time she communicated with me was when she sent me a text message abut some furniture, and when she informed me that she was going on vacation.

The day she left for vacation she did not speak to me, she left me a note in the kitchen stating that I was to pay the rental office my $650 + $250(for the deposit). As I am out of a job, I do not have those excess funds lying around. This being the case, I did not pay the extra amount. Since it was not paid, the rental office is trying to get the sum plus a late fee from us. I would like to make note of the fact that the refundable security deposit is not a part of the lease. It is a verbal agreement between her and me.

So, ultimately, who is responsible? She left town without paying her full portion of the rent. I paid the agreed $650 a month. She never asked me if I actually had the funds! When the end of the month came she didn't mention it. She just left me a note a day after the rent was due and told me to go pay the extra amount. Even though she told me she would like to have the deposit by the end of June, if I don't have the money, what can be done about it? I am also moving out within the next 60 days. Yes, I do owe her the deposit, but that it separate from the lease. It's between me and her. If I had the money to give her the deposit now (which I don't), I'm afraid she may say it's not refundable and not give it back to me when I leave next month. So yeah, I see that she can get me for the deposit… but by the time I can gather the money to pay her I'll be moving and she'll have to give it back to me anyways. What should I do in this situation and do I have a reasonable argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back