Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Larceny

Mark Garcia

Jurisdiction
US Federal Law
I was stopped by a loss prevention associate, while walking out of a military exchange. I did not have any stolen merchandise on me, nor had I stolen any merchandise. I had taken a bottle of cologne off the shelf and walked to a price scanner to check its price. I didn't like the price and dropped the cologne into my shopping basket. A few minutes later, I went to the register to check out. I placed the cologne on the counter, right before the register I went to. I payed for my items and left the store. As I exited, LP speedily flashed some credentials and took my receipt from the shopping bag without asking me. I assume he saw that there was no charge for the cologne, asked me to come with him and shut the doors to the loss prevention office with my son and I along with another LP associate. He asked if I knew what this was about and I had no idea. He asked if I had anything in the bag that I hadn't payed for and I answered that I did not. He asked if he could go through my shopping bag and I gave him permission. He asked where the "body spray" was. I wasn't sure and he asked again. I asked if he was talking about the cologne I priced and explained that I had left it at the register. He then had the junior associate retrieve the cologne after I explained where I had left it. He then moved on to some items that I had returned and asked me to explain why certain parts were missing. He asked if I had cannibalized some contents. I was warned that NCIS and criminal investigations division would be called if I didn't tell him what he wanted to hear. He claimed that he had seen everything and wanted to see if I would be truthful and explain all of my returns. I was trespassed and had to pay over $1100 for 3 items that I had returned. I didn't want to risk my son having to wait in limbo if/while I was arrested so I agreed to pay.
Do I have any recourse?

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. At first I saw what is called a "Bad stop". Later I read about returns issue. This seems to be a problem as why would you pay $1100.00 if you did NOTHING wrong. I feel there may be more to this. Since you paid them this maybe dead issue. Who did you pay Loss Prevention or store itself? You might talk to an Attorney about this and give him/her EVERY detail! Do NOT post those details here!!

I was trespassed and had to pay over $1100 for 3 items that I had returned.

If you are the civilian dependent of an active duty service member, the service member's chain of command will also be notified.

There could also be further complications.

If you are the active duty service member, there WILL be further complications.

If you are a retiree, or the dependent of a retiree, the storm may already have passed.

The fact that your minor child (as in young minor child) was with you when you ALLEGEDLY committed crimes MIGHT mean "child services" will be notified.

That could spur visits and more questions by "child services".

All I can tell you is that IF additional blow back occurs, you serve yourself best by simply using your RIGHT to remain silent and request a lawyer.

I hope you have learned a lesson and will endeavor to comport yourself better and behave appropriately at all times, especially if your child is with you.

Hmm... It seems odd you would pay $1100. I agree there seems to be more to it.

FYI... If the LP employee knew the answers to the questions he probably would not be asking them. Keep your yapper shut. No need to make it easier for them to get you.

Back