Lanlord harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiffycoke

Hi,
My lanlord is violating a lot of laws, including entering the home without my permission. How do I go about taking her to court? What court do I take her to?

that depends on the violation. There might be reasons for a criminal complaint, that would be handled by the prosecutor in a criminal court, there might be tort actions, injunctions, other stuff, handled in various departments in civil court, there even might be civil rights violations.

Be that as it may, you might want to contact a tenant's rights organization first and talk your case through with them. Sometimes it is not worth the trouble of a lawsuit and usually a suit will mean that your landlord won't really like you anymore. Often living under these conditions is no fun.

Therefore it sometimes is a better investment of time and money to look for a new place to live instead of suing the landlord.

Can you tell me if this is harasment?

I am making a very serious complaint against my lanlord and I willl explain it to you in point form so I dont take two hours
- my rent was late
-they gave me a notice of eviction(this is understandable)
-they gave me until 18th
-on the 15, 16th they entered my workplace and told my co-workers my rent had not been paid and that i was a liar
-they then came the next day and told my manager to tell me i had until the 18th to move
-I then called and asked them not to come here as i thought it was wrong for them to talk to my boss about my life
- They then came again on the 116th at nght and started telling my boss what a bad mother i am and how i dont dress my kids properly and that i havent paid rent(all the while there are customers here and they phoned previously and knew i was not there)
- they went on and on about how i lie about everything i talk about and how i am a bad tennant because i didnt pay rent
-I think this is against the law somehow because i may lose my job over it i work in a professional office and people wont come back here if they feel uncomfortable
-IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO?
-ISNT THIS WRONG
oh!!!! and my rent is paid in full so as of the 17th of december making there eviction notice void

what can i sue them with?

if my lanlord is putting my job on the line can they not be sued should i have to pay them rent i dont get it? how can your answer be look for a new place to live? this is my employment that they are coming into and they should have no right to do so. How much would my laywer cost?

mindee said:
I am making a very serious complaint against my lanlord and I willl explain it to you in point form so I dont take two hours
- my rent was late
-they gave me a notice of eviction(this is understandable)
-they gave me until 18th
-on the 15, 16th they entered my workplace and told my co-workers my rent had not been paid and that i was a liar
-they then came the next day and told my manager to tell me i had until the 18th to move
-I then called and asked them not to come here as i thought it was wrong for them to talk to my boss about my life
- They then came again on the 116th at nght and started telling my boss what a bad mother i am and how i dont dress my kids properly and that i havent paid rent(all the while there are customers here and they phoned previously and knew i was not there)
- they went on and on about how i lie about everything i talk about and how i am a bad tennant because i didnt pay rent
-I think this is against the law somehow because i may lose my job over it i work in a professional office and people wont come back here if they feel uncomfortable
-IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO?
-ISNT THIS WRONG
oh!!!! and my rent is paid in full so as of the 17th of december making there eviction notice void
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your landlord. Most of the time going to court after the rent has been paid results in wasted time and money on the landlord's part. However, just because the rent is paid doesn't mean the landlord doesn't have a right to evict because you were required to make that payment anyways and the breach already occurred. Unless there is a remedy to allow you to "cure" a breach, the party who is affected can choose to act upon the breach or "waive" the right to pursue the breach. In this instance it doesn't seem like your landlord is doing the latter. Not all is so clear cut in landlord-tenant court where the law doesn't like evicting people due to small technicalities -- but it seems there may be more going on here.

Honestly, I think I'm missing a huge part of the equation though. How and why would your landlord traipse into your workplace and why would they feel so inclined to inform everyone that your rent wasn't paid.

Before you start getting ready to file that's lawsuit, let's try to fill in all the details. It seems there is another dynamic or more history here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back