Cleaning, Repairs Landlords in NJ treated unfairly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patch311

I am a landlord in NJ and have read many posts on the subject. We have a 2 family house in a resort shore town and have had a revolving door of tenants who usually stay with us for a year, don't abide by the lease and cause significant damage to our units. Many don't pay rent on time and a couple did not pay at all.
The eviction process is ridiculous and the laws always favor the tenants no matter how horrible they are. The laws about cleaning and repair are not fair. Every year we have to repaint, clean carpets, floors, blinds, stoves, refrigerators, and change lightbulbs, etc. We provide a pristinely clean apartment with many amenities upon their move-in so why should we have to clean up after them when they leave. NJ law states they are not responsible for normal wear and tear but this is so vague. I'm sorry but broom-clean and normal wear and tear don't cut it. We should be able in NJ to charge tenants for filthy walls, blinds, ceiling fan, and all the other filth they leave behind.

My question is this: I want to change the laws in NJ so they are more favorable to landlords, who pay the taxes, making very little money for providing decent housing, and would like to know how to go about this process. Writing politicians in this state is a waste.
There must be a way to make it fair to landlords in NJ.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back