Landlord wants me to pay back utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

soupkids

I have been renting this house for over 5 years. Per the lease, I was supposed to put the water/sewer/garbage in my name, but just plain forgot. The owner apparently did not realize this either, and he has been paying for those utilities ever since. This week, he apparently realized it and according to the property manager, he is gathering up all the bills and will be sending them to me for reimbursement. Being over 5 years, this could easily add up to $4000 or more. Now, I accept responsibility for neglecting to put the utilities in my name, but shouldn't the owner also accept responsibility for not notifying me earlier? How can he not know after all these years that he was paying for it when he shouldn't. I am willing to compromise but I cannot afford to pay the entire amount. Anyone out there with any advice, legal or otherwise?

If these are the requirements as outlined in your lease, your landlord may, legally, have a good case that you owe this.

Why don't you wait until you have an idea of the amount involved here and then try to work something out with your landlord.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back