Landlord Violated lease I think?

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hello, I just moved into my 2 bedroom apartment and signed the lease Monday July 12. On Tuesday or Wednesday, I got a trashcan and put it under the sink in the kitchen. Then the next day Thursday, I found a some little things in the drawers where I put my silverware and other things. I cleaned it out and went on with my day. Then Friday morning I found more of them and realized they were mouse droppings wear I put my utensils. I then found more droppings in the cupboard near the sink in my pots and pans. I made a maintenance request for mice on Friday and was told It may not get resolved until Monday or after the following week. I feel that this is a violation of the landlord because the mice are leaving droppings in my kitchen where I kept my food and dishes and to wait for business hours to get it resolved is the violation of the landlord's responsibility to keep the place livable as it says on the lease. I could get sick from this and so I was wondering if it is fair or not? Today is now Sunday and I probably won't hear anything until tomorrow or after. Please let me know thanks.

Hello, I just moved into my 2 bedroom apartment and signed the lease Monday July 12. On Tuesday or Wednesday, I got a trashcan and put it under the sink in the kitchen. Then the next day Thursday, I found a some little things in the drawers where I put my silverware and other things. I cleaned it out and went on with my day. Then Friday morning I found more of them and realized they were mouse droppings wear I put my utensils. I then found more droppings in the cupboard near the sink in my pots and pans. I made a maintenance request for mice on Friday and was told It may not get resolved until Monday or after the following week. I feel that this is a violation of the landlord because the mice are leaving droppings in my kitchen where I kept my food and dishes and to wait for business hours to get it resolved is the violation of the landlord's responsibility to keep the place livable as it says on the lease. I could get sick from this and so I was wondering if it is fair or not? Today is now Sunday and I probably won't hear anything until tomorrow or after. Please let me know thanks.
A week is not unreasonable...especially as there is a pandemic going on. What does it state in your lease regarding pest control (exact wording sans identifying information)?

I feel that this is a violation of the landlord because the mice are leaving droppings in my kitchen where I kept my food and dishes and to wait for business hours to get it resolved is the violation of the landlord's responsibility to keep the place livable as it says on the lease.

If a landlord chose to violate herself/himself, I suspect it wouldn't violate any law.

You are free to retain an exterminator to eliminate the rodents.

Had you done a more thorough walk through BEFORE signing the lease, you could have detected most habitability concerns.

In the future check EVERYTHING, read EVERYTHING, before signing anything, or paying.

Back