Landlord Uses Racial Slurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymelchaney

My landlord calls me names and makes racial comments as in calling me a nigger and other racist terms because I'm late on rent can I file a lawsuit

Your landlord can expect to be paid on time.

However, re the racial comments, etc., you might first want to file a complaint with the New York Division of Human Rights. (I note you list your jurisdiction as NY.)

They will investigate the complaint. They are responsible for enforcing housing discrimination complaints & if warranted, holds hearings & issues enforceable orders.

You don't need a lawyer to file a complaint. However, you can file a complaint under the Human Rights Law directly in court. You would want to talk to a lawyer about that & see if they believe you have a case.

PS-Your complaint would be racial discrimination.

Last edited:
Please note nigger in and of itself, though purported to be a racial slur, has roots in uniform english language. It's descriptive of non white, economically disadvantaged people. If you are definitively middle class or rich, it is a fair determination it is a racial slur. Being poor lends itself to the realm of the word being used accurately. As you state he uses it when you are late on rent, you see the obvious definition parallel.

The use of slurs does not mean that you are being discriminated against.
I do not see that you have anything worth pursuing.
Pay the rent on time and you won't have a problem. If you don't pay the rent on time you might find yourself facing eviction, and the landlords use of slurs still won't save you from that because you failed to pay your rent on time.

Racial slurs "can be" considered discrimination. Racial discrimination is treating a person differently/unfavorably due to his/her race which can include racial slurs or other offensive remarks.

I'm not saying the OP definitely has a case here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back