Landlord to keep property for rent due

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlow1958

I rented a room from a friend, there was no lease agreement, I rented on a month to month basis. I lost my job in November so I owe her for Nov. and Dec. rent. She asked me to move out which I did but wants to keep my computer because I owe her 2 months rent. In the state of Nevada is this legal? If not, what are her options to get her money? I verbally told her I would pay her. My computer is personal to me, it has financial, legal and personal documents on it including family pictures I do not want lost. My computer will be used while it is being kept.

Legally she cannot keep your computer as a sort of "ransom" for the money you owe. She could keep the computer if you BOTH agreed that this could be used to pay for what you owe her.

Her options for getting the money you owe her (if you do not start paying her back) is to consider suing you in court for this.

Gail

Now What???

I went back to that house yesterday and said that they could not legally keep my Computer because I owed back rent and was told that everything on my Computer was erased and as far as they were concerned we were now even.
Now what is my next option to get my Computer back?

I also found out that a Camera of mine was taken and sold to another party. The other party returned the camera to me but they are now out the money they paid.

Consider contacting your local police to report that your computer was stolen by the landlord. You can let your landlord know you're planning on doing this with the goal of getting them to return your computer to you to avoid this.

Encourage the person who returned your camera to also report to the police that the landlord sold them stolen property.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back