Landlord Threatening to Discontinue Cable Service If I Do Not Order Cable Through the Landlord

dharvell

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I am a resident of a manufactured home community and currently have Spectrum Business as my internet / TV provider. I operate a business out of my home and require a static IP address - a service that is not available through Spectrum's residential packages.

Recently, the residents of the community in which I live received a notice that Spectrum and the community have entered a bulk sales program; in short, the notice states that we have the option to obtain Spectrum's residential services through the community's offices, or opt out. By opting out, we waive our rights to obtain Spectrum's services directly through Spectrum. Of course, this does not work, for me, as I require the static IP address that is only available through Spectrum Business.

After speaking with both sides (Spectrum Business and the community's offices), I am getting mixed answers. My community's offices say that, according to their Spectrum bulk-sales representative and their "very good" lawyers, I MUST go through the community to continue receiving Spectrum's services, but only the residential services offered through the community are available. I will have to give up my static IP and figure out how to adjust my home business, accordingly. Meanwhile, Spectrum Business customer services is telling me that my landlord has taken a standard HOA-type, bulk sale contract and reworded it to intimidate their residents in going through them for Spectrum's services - basically, the community cannot touch my already established Spectrum Business service. Both sides of the argument have given me the same phone number to reach Spectrum's customer service for more information. As a Spectrum Business customer, the provided number goes straight to the Spectrum Business customer service department, so the provided number is of no help, to me as the customer service representatives can only provide tech support, billing support, or service modifications specific to my already established account.

In a nutshell, my question is: can my landlord cancel my established Spectrum Business service, since I refuse to sign a Spectrum contract through the landlord? The landlord insists that Spectrum has told them that they can. Meanwhile, Spectrum Business is telling me that the landlord most certainly cannot. Right now, I am in the middle confused as to how to proceed.

Any suggestions or tips would be most appreciated.

Any suggestions or tips would be most appreciated.

The landlord cannot dictate your access to the service unless your lease with the landlord requires that you get the service through the landlord or otherwise addresses requirements for this service. If it's not addressed by the lease then it's up to Spectrum to decide how to handle it. I suspect that as long your business deal with Spectrum satisfies Spectrum and won't result in any problem with the landlord's deal with the company you'll be ok...for now. But when it comes time for lease renewal, the landlord might insist on including lease term that would force the matter.

Last edited:
The landlord cannot dictate your access to the service unless your lease with the landlord requires that you get the service through the landlord or otherwise addresses requirements for this service. If it's not addressed by the lease then it's up to Spectrum to decide how to handle it. I suspect that as long your business deal with Spectrum satisfies Spectrum and won't result in any problem with the landlord's deal with the landlord you'll be ok...for now. But when it comes time for lease renewal, the landlord might insist on including lease term that would force the matter.
Sounds like I might have some time to consider my options, then... but like you said, "for now". It might make sense to form a contingency plan, just in case. Thank you for your answer.

I own the home, but lease the lot the home is on.

Good. You have protection under Michigan's statute specifically addressing mobile home parks.

Michigan Legislature - 236-1961-57a

Study it carefully and note the just cause requirement for termination of tenancy. The owner is limited as to what he can do even at the end of your lease period.

In the long run it might be advantageous to you to spend a few hundred for a lawyer's letter, if it gets the owner to back off. Might also make him think twice about trying something when the lease comes up, knowing you have a lawyer on speed-dial (so to speak).

If he does back off, you can spread the word to other owners. The more people who say no to this bozo, the less power he has.

Good. You have protection under Michigan's statute specifically addressing mobile home parks.

Michigan Legislature - 236-1961-57a

Study it carefully and note the just cause requirement for termination of tenancy. The owner is limited as to what he can do even at the end of your lease period.

In the long run it might be advantageous to you to spend a few hundred for a lawyer's letter, if it gets the owner to back off. Might also make him think twice about trying something when the lease comes up, knowing you have a lawyer on speed-dial (so to speak).

If he does back off, you can spread the word to other owners. The more people who say no to this bozo, the less power he has.
Very good to know. Thank you for this!

Back